West Coast Girl’s Guide to East Coast Winters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As a southern California native, it has been pretty difficult for me to accept that winter is just around the corner. At home, cold weather meant dressing for 50-degree weather, so you can imagine the wake up call I experienced during my first East Coast winter. Being unprepared for such a severe weather change can really put a damper on your holiday cheer, but have no fear! Here are a few tips for those trying to survive their first, real East Coast winter:

1. When in doubt: Bundle up!

I never really understood the importance of layering until I endured my first Bostonian winter. Now, I not only understand it, but I also could not live without layers. Layering is an art form that takes practice to fashionably and functionally master. A great layer-er understands that clothing needs to be balanced; your body’s warmth must be equally distributed. Don’t be afraid to layer leggings over (or under) your jeans, a sweater over your shirt, and even a vest over your jacket. Extra layers can prevent those harsh wind tunnels from making you feel like you’re turning to ice, which will make a huge difference as the colder temperatures approach. And please, buy a winter coat that is long: your body will thank you!

2. Raincoats > Umbrellas

Winter brings with it cold air and even colder rain. Though your immediate reaction may be to pack your umbrella into your backpack and be on your way, think again. It was difficult for me to let go of my umbrella at first in exchange for a raincoat, but I soon learned that Boston’s winter winds are not too fond of umbrella usage. During my first winter here, I went through three umbrellas; all of which were either flipped inside out or broken apart due to the severe winds that plague the East Coast this time of year. Word to the wise: Use a raincoat and spare yourself the trouble of having to walk across campus during a rainstorm with an inside out umbrella. 

3. Never underestimate the power of fuzzy apparel

Everyone loves a good pair of fuzzy socks on a cold night, but why let that appreciation stop at just socks? While the winter air prepares to hit you with its best shot, warm, plushy clothing can help you get ready to fight back. I recently found a pair of fleece-lined leggings at Urban Outfitters, and since then, my life has never been better (or warmer!). Fleece-lined and fuzzy clothing are the most socially acceptable way to feel like you’re walking around in your comfiest pajamas–what could be better than that?!

4. Accept your love/hate relationship with indoor heating

When it’s cold outside, the only thing that keeps you from turning around and hiding under your covers is the hope that your classroom is warmer than the frigid weather outside. Once you enter the building, however, a fiery heat wave inevitably comes over you, reminding you that the indoor heating is on full blast. Now, how is one to avoid freezing to death from the winter winds while simultaneously trying not to suffer from the blazing hot heaters? Honestly, there’s only one solution for this dilemma: Accept it! There’s really nothing that can keep you from feeling the heat other than peeling those layers and adapting to the climate, so your love/hate relationship with indoor heating will just have to live on. If the going gets a little too tough, just remember that once spring and summer roll around, you’ll have forgotten all about those darned heaters. 

Take these tips into account when preparing for the upcoming winter season, small changes to your wardrobe and your outlook on the chilly season can really help shake away those winter blues and bring in that holiday cheer! 

Academic Year: 2016Major: Public RelationsAstrological Sign: LibraEditorial team member, social media addict, and foodie.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.