We Run in Boston: The Urban Running Scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Hailed as one of the “fittest” cities in the United States, Boston is home to a running scene unlike any other. From the break of dawn until the late hours of the night, runners from across the city are pounding the pavement every day, rain or shine, all year long. Rife with countless running routes spanning across Boston’s urban hub to local hilly cross-country trails, no two workouts have to be the same − Boston is a runner’s dream.

Runners commonly hit the road alone; however, many regular runners meet up with other Bostonian athletes to work out together. Running in groups not only provides an additional boost of motivation to run that extra mile, but also offers an easy way to get in touch with the athletic community. There are numerous free running clubs offered for any age or skill level that meet up weekly in the Boston area.

“The Most Informal Running Club Ever” requires no commitment and brings together the most casual runners, while members of “The November Project,” a Boston-based fitness movement that has since gone national, include professional athletes, marathon trainees, collegiate runners and even workout rookies. In a vibrant city where running is part of its identity and culture, there is a way for everyone to get involved in Boston’s most popular fitness tradition.

Sarah is an undergraduate student at Boston University pursuing a dual-degree in Neuropsychology and Journalism.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.