Warning: Chocolate Lovers Only

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Chocolate. The word is like magic (or crack) to our ears. Chocolate has been around since the Aztecs first stumbled upon cacao 3,100 years ago. And it’s been gracing us with its perfect presence in all shapes and forms ever since. 

Now I’m not one to tell someone how to eat their chocolate. But I would tell you that there are many ways to consume and properly purchase this delicious treasure. 

I am fully guilty of just grabbing a big fat dark chocolate hershey bar, plunging it into my jar of peanut butter, and curling up to watch whatever show I’m binging on at the moment (9 times out of 10 it’s Gilmore Girls). But I can also enjoy my chocolate in a “gourmet” fashion. It’s pretty fun and it goes a little like this:

Fancy People Chocolate Eating:

Chocolate from different countries has different qualities. Choose a fun country (I don’t know what qualifies as “fun country” for you, but hey). Try to explore the different specialities, tastes, and flavors that country has to offer. Well, chocolate-wise. My favorite is Belgian for their extra cocoa butter use, it makes chocolate especially creamy.

Properly tempered chocolate (just means it’s cooked right in chocolate-making lingo) will have a crisp, clean pop when you break it apart.
Chocolate should have a good luster. I like to think of this as the “happy levels of shiny.”

Finally, take a clean bite of the chocolate (bar, truffle, etc) and let it sit over your tongue, then press it to your palate as it melts. This will help you enhance your taste of the chocolate you purchased with your hard-earned college student money. 

There’s a whole world of chocolate waiting for you to try it, but some of the best locales in Boston for the chocolate-lover’s dream experience are:

*Gourmet Boutique: located at 10 Huntington Ave, Boston

A shop know for it’s specialty chocolate, imported from all over the world, especially Europe.

*L.A. Burdick: located at 220 Clarendon St, Boston

This Boston treat is famous for it’s handmade chocolates and doubles as a cafe with high-end drinking chocolate, etc..

*Beacon Hill Chocolates: located at 91 Charles St #1

A candy store with local and important chocolate and a “Victorian vibe.”

Happy chocolate eating! 

Love,
BU Chocolate Lover

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/julia-buckley/99/27b/1b9
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.