Volunteer Opportunities this Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Believe it or not, it is officially spring! With spring break behind us and the final stretch in our near future, right now is no better time to involve yourself in a new volunteer opportunity. Here are some tips to help get you started!

1. Think about why you want to volunteer- Volunteering is a rewarding experience on so many levels. Not only does it feel good, but it also provides the opportunity to learn more about your hobbies and career options, and meet new people and expand your network. Although you may be giving up some free time, the benefits certainly outweigh the costs!
  2. It’s never too late to get involved with BU’s Community Service Center. The CSC has a volunteer opportunity in any area of interest. Whether you want to help kids at after-school programs or improve the urban environment, the CSC has something for you. Even if you can’t commit to a weekly CSC program, one-time events are a great way to give back to the community.
  3. Check out sites like www.idealist.org or www.volunteermatch.org. These sites aim to connect dedicated and passionate volunteers to a cause. Both allow you to input an area of interest and desired location. These sites are a great source to not only find a volunteer opportunity right now, but also possible volunteer or even internship opportunities in the future.
  4. Consider volunteering when making summer plans- If volunteering this spring doesn’t seem like a feasible option, then there is always summer. Programs like Habitat for Humanity or the Global Volunteer Network have opportunities that are the perfect addition to your resume and will make you feel like you did something meaningful with your summer off.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.