Vegetarian-Friendly Restaurants in the Boston Area

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.
  1. Root is a plant-inspired food and juice establishment located in Allston. Its local food is fresh, simple, and most importantly, delicious. Root has plenty of tasty options on its menu for vegetarians, vegans and anyone looking for a feel-good meal.

Menu Highlights:

Root Burger: House-made black bean and quinoa burger with Boston lettuce, tomato, crispy onions and garlic aioli. Served with a side of dressed greens or herbed fries.

Eggplant Caprese Sandwich: Crispy eggplant, fresh tomato, basil, balsamic reduction and creamy thyme sauce on an Iggy’s bun. Served with herbed fries or dressed greens.

Veg Cleanse: Kale, carrot, orange and lemon. All juices are made fresh and served in a 12 oz. mason jar!

Root: Inspired Food & Juicery

487 Cambridge Street Allston, MA

1. Life Alive is a unique destination that caters to all types of eaters including vegetarians and vegans, and even those on raw, macrobiotic or gluten-free diets. Life Alive offers organic meals intended to leave you feeling satisfied, energized, sustained, strong and confident. Life Alive provides its customers with the experience of fresh food in a soulful, relaxing environment.

Menu Highlights:

The Mystic Mountain: “A seriously sensational salad of mesculin greens, sweet corn, shredded carrots and beets, cucumber, and sprouts made even more special with our Lemon-Vitality Vinaigrette…then we add the most delicious roasted garlic lemon parsley hummus you’ll ever have (we’re not bragging it’s just the truth) along with granny apple slices and cashews, and you get the mountain on the mystic. Don’t miss out on this high!”

Life Alive: Urban Oasis & Organic Cafe

765 Massachusetts Avenue Boston, MA

1. For all of the salad-lovers out there, a trip to sweetgreen is a must − you will have the best salad of your life. The go-to dinner destination for yoga moms and health-conscious foodies, sweetgreen offers a healthy dining experience unique to any other. Customers have the option to build their own, custom-made salad, which includes your choice of any fresh lettuce or kale, additional delicious local toppings, such as dried cranberries or sliced almonds, and a house-made dressing. If you don’t want to try out building your own salad just yet, pick from one of their signature salads that appear on the menu daily.

Menu Highlights:

Chic P: Organic mesclun + organic baby spinach with baked falafel, chickpeas, cucumbers, green and red peppers and pita chips; topped with a lemon tahini dressing.

Spicy Sabzi: Organic baby spinach + shredded kale with spicy quinoa, spicy broccoli, carrots, raw beets, basil, sprouts and roasted tofu; topped with a carrot chili vinaigrette and a squeeze of sriracha.

sweetgreen

659 Boylston Street Boston MA

1. Most of us are familiar with the popular ice cream parlors in the area, but just in case some of the vegans out there didn’t know where to get a scrumptious scoop of ice cream near Boston, head on over to J.P. Licks to try out one of its many vegan ice cream options. J.P. Licks has locations in Coolidge Corner, Harvard Square and on Boylston Street.

Menu Highlights:

Chocolate (Coconut): Coconut dairy-free ice cream with rich, full chocolate flavor. Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free.

Tahitian Vanilla (Soy): Soy dairy-free ice cream flavored with an especially smooth and floral vanilla. Vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free.

J.P. Licks

Coolidge Corner 311 Harvard Street Brookline MA 02445

Harvard Square 1312 Mass Ave. Cambridge MA 02138

1106 Boylston Street Boston MA

1. Veggie Galaxy is set up like a classic diner-style restaurant, but all of the food is vegetarian! Veggie Galaxy offers healthy menu options for breakfast, lunch and dinner while catering to special dietary needs such as gluten-free customers. Veggie Galaxy is a great place to eat for the local vegetarian community, but even if you’re not vegetarian, this establishment stresses that they have “FOOD FOR EVERYONE,” so take your friends and go check it out!

Menu Highlights:

Sandwich Melt: Spicy Tofu and Vegetable Salad, Pickled Carrot & Onion, Cheddar Cheese and Whole Grain Mustard.

Homage (Veggie Planet Caesar) Salad: Romaine, Tomatoes, Broccoli, Kalamata Olives, Tofu Croutons, Creamy Lemon-Garlic Dressing

Veggie Galaxy: Diner and Vegan Bakery

450 Massachusetts Ave. Cambridge, MA 02139

Sarah is an undergraduate student at Boston University pursuing a dual-degree in Neuropsychology and Journalism.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis