Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UPDATED Free Yoga, Lobster Night and R-Rated Hypnotist: Events You Need to Go to This Week

Posted Sep 9 2012 - 9:00am

Hope you all had a great first week of school! Last week, we started off the school year with a bang, with the Childish Gambino concert, Fashion's Night Out and more! Which was one your favorite event?

It's only the second week of school, but we already have some pretty awesome events lined up. As always, here are the best events this week, and be sure to come back often for updates and more!

TUESDAY, SEPT. 11

Alternative Spring Break (ASB) Leadership Information Fair  – The Community Service Center (CSC) offers some seriously fun and worthwhile programs, and ASB is no exception. Whether you're a freshman or a senior, consider a leadership position on this year's ASB program! Learn more about how you can play a role in BU's popular spring break program at 8 p.m. on the fourth floor of the GSU, 775 Commonwealth Ave. Two students who were freshmen last year had enough spunk to co-lead their own ASB groups, so don't be afraid of being “too young”!

Education Resource Center (ERC) Workshop: Syllabus Management  – This is for you, freshmen! (Though don't be afraid to attend if you're a senior!) Overloaded with class syllabi? Learn tips on how to manage all of your syllabi, so you're in control of your workload from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Student Support Center in room 101 of 100 Bay State Road.

ERC Workshop: Time Management – Time management is more important than you think and can greatly affect your GPA and performance in class. Learn to manage your time well from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Student Support Center in room 101 of 100 Bay State Road.

FitRec Open House – Busy schedule? Consider taking noncredit classes at the FitRec at its open house from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at 915 Commonwealth Ave. Meet instructors, watch demos and participate in classes and activities, including Zumba, six-pack abs, cycling, hip-hop, Bollywood/Bhangra fusion, hatha yoga, power yoga, climbing, racquetball and squash! Plus, you get a 15 percent discount if you register at the open house for the following noncredit classes: aquatics, climbing, court sports, dance, fitness, mind/body or rowing.

Free Dumpling Party – That's right. Free dumplings. Invite your friends and join the BU Asian American Christian Fellowship from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the SAO Gym on 1 University Road.

WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 12

BU Study Abroad at the GSU Link Information Tables – Ever wanted to study abroad but don't know how or where to go? If you want to apply to study abroad this spring, the deadline is coming up! Speak to students and staff about BU Study Abroad today and tomorrow from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the GSU Link on 775 Commonwealth Ave.

Effective Résumés and Cover Letters: What to Know Before You Apply – To get that interview, you need a clean résumé and an outstanding cover letter. Learn how to organize, present and essentially market yourself to future employers from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Center for Career Development on the sixth floor of 100 Bay State Road. Register to attend here, and check out CCD's many more workshops, including Friday's Teach for American information session, here.

Free Sunrise Yoga – Take a break from schoolwork with free Pura Vida Kripalu Yoga classes on the top floor (26th!) of StuVi 2 from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m every Wednesday! Talk about a beautiful view of the sunrise. For BU students and staff of all levels and yoga backgrounds, the yoga classes help relieve some stress and relax your mind and body. Bring a yoga mat and water. Register here, and be on your way to a healthier and happier you! If you have any questions, please contact Cristie Siegele at csiegele@bu.edu.

Poster Sale – Are the walls in your room still just too bare? Buy $5-$9 posters in the main lobby of Agganis Arena all week from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. (till 1 p.m. on Wednesday). Images range from fine art to humor, movies to motivational.

[pagebreak]
THURSDAY, SEPT. 13
Farmers' Market – Every Thursday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. till October 25, the BU Farmers' Market will feature fresh, tasty fruits and veggies from local farmers, delectable pastries and breads from local bakeries, honey, gluten-free and vegan cookies and much more for you to buy. Trust me, you don't want to miss out on Taza Chocolate! Check out live music and other partnering organizations, including BU Bikes and Sargent Choice.

Her Campus BU's First Meeting of the Year – Love fashion and writing? Join BU's Her Campus team at 5 p.m. at the GSU Backcourt in 775 Commonwealth Ave. HCBU has some exciting plans this semester, including College Fashion Week! If you're interested in modeling or designing for the show, please contact the campus correspondents Elyssa or Sonali. Be sure to follow HCBU @HerCampusBU and on Pinterest, and like HCBU on Facebook!

First Generation College Student Social
– Are you the first in your family to attend college? Come meet new and current first generation students, and enjoy a free BBQ dinner from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Fox Fountain Patio at the GSU, 775 Commonwealth Ave. RSVP here, and learn more about the University Service Center's programs for first generation college students here.

LIVE: Local Licks – As part of BU Central's LIVE show series, Local Licks will feature (obviously) local bands, including Frank & Dependent, Love in Stockholm, RIBS and Gentlemen Hall. Head down to BU Central on the lower level of the GSU at 9 p.m. for a jamming good time!

Lobster Night – It's that time of year again! Stop by any of BU Dining Services' dining halls – Marciano Commons, Warren and West – from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. to get your own whole lobster, along with other mouthwatering food like chowder, corn on the cob and desserts. It's nights like these that make us feel just a little better about how much we're paying to attend this school! RSVP here, and invite your friends and family!

College Night – In need of some fall clothing? Join Urban Outfitters from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. for its special College Night sales. Take 10 percent off full-price merchandise and an additional 30 percent off all sale items with your college ID. See all of the Boston-area store locations and RSVP here.

BU Sustainability Festival – Support sustainable efforts at BU and have fun doing it! From 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Marsh Plaza, get free bike safety gear, enter for your chance to win a bike, support the farmers' market and its fruits, honey, bread, pastries and more.

BU Society of Professional Journalists General Meeting – Interested in journalism and want to get more involved? Attend BU SPJ's first meeting of the semester from 7:30 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. in COM 323. Invite your friends and other COM students!

FRIDAY, SEPT. 14

Fall Study Abroad Expo – Looking to study abroad next semester or summer? Discuss your options with students and staff about BU Study Abroad's 94 programs from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the second floor of the GSU in the Ziskind Lounge. Refreshments are provided.

R-Rated Hypnotist – Yes, he's back! Whether you want to participate or just want to sit back and laugh, check out the wild (and free!) performance from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m in Metcalf Hall, the second floor of GSU on 775 Commonwealth Ave.

SATURDAY, SEPT. 15

BU Country Fest – Get your cowboy boots, hats and flannel out, and join BU's first-ever Country Fest, complete with a mechanical bull, line-dancing classes, backyard games and a live performance by Radio Nashville. As part of BU Student Activities Office's annual Weeks of Welcome events, the event from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m in Metcalf Hall will include free food from Raising Canes and tons of great prizes and giveaways.

MONDAY, SEPT. 17

Rosh Hashanah – The beginning of the 2-day Jewish observance. Register to attend BU Hillel's High Holiday services here.

NEXT WEEK: Free local produce cooking class, jazz jam session, BU For Show, after-glow party, Nutella® breakfast tour

Rep photo by BU Today. Text photo by BU Today and BU CSC.