wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Unpopular Opinion: Being In A Serious Relationship In College Is Totally OK

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I remember sitting in lecture in my first psychology class at BU, listening to my professor tell all of the students in the room that their long distance relationships would not end up working out. He wasn’t apologetic whatsoever; he thought he was helping out all the lovestruck people in the room. But not all college relationships are ill fated.

According to an article written by Heather Fishel from campusexplorer.com, “College students prefer short-term, casual relationships over long-term relationships because it allows them to focus on their academic and career goals.” Left and right, college students have begun to reject the idea of a traditional relationship and have replaced this desire for closeness with occasional hookups. For some, this is totally ideal. It isn’t a bad thing to have commitment issues yet (we’re still figuring things out, ok?) and it’s completely cool for a girl to explore her options, but we don’t all need to play by the rules of this hook-up game.

Some people have boyfriends or girlfriends that they love. To be in a healthy relationship, whether with someone who lives across the world or down a flight of stairs, is a beautiful thing. Some people think that being committed to one person will hold them back in other ways, but this is not always the case.

You have someone that you can tell literally everything.

In a healthy relationship, you don’t need to hold much back. You can laugh or cry with your partner and they’ll be right there with you, ready to offer a shoulder to cry on or a hug when you need them.

You can go on for ten minutes about your terrible day at work and they will be ready to find ways to make you smile or laugh. They’ll be on your side when you’re frustrated and just as excited for your accomplishments. There is no jealousy or resentment between you two because your SO is rooting for you no matter what. At the end of the day, they want you to be the happiest girl in the world and they’ll do whatever they can to push you in that direction.

You know that this person will always be honest with you.

Just as they’ll always be around to make you laugh, they’re always going to tell you when you sound a bit ridiculous. Some girl friends may yes you to death when you’re complaining too much, but your partner will tell you to suck it up and pull through it.

This person is not only here to make you happy, they make you better. Your partner is your rock and, while he or she loves to shower you with compliments, they also won’t hesitate to bring you back down to earth once your head is up in the clouds.

They encourage you to chase your dreams.

Your SO is your rock, but this doesn’t mean that they’re going to hold you back. Their dream is for you to achieve yours because they understand how important it is to live, not just exist. Not only will they inspire you at home and at school, they will push you to explore and see the world and they’ll be ready for you when you return. 

In the best relationships, a boyfriend or girlfriend will step back and let you live your own life, no matter how desperately they want to be there for every minute of it. They know that they’ve secured a place in your heart and something will always pull you back to them, no matter what you find when you spread your wings.

And, contrary to popular opinion, it is possible to spread your wings while in a relationship. The right person will help you grow, not snuff out your fire. Some people may prefer to explore their options, but don’t ever let anybody tell you that someone you love won’t be there for you down the line. And, if you know you’ve found the right person, don’t let them go just because everyone around you doesn’t believe in your relationship. Being in love is not a sickness; it’s wonderful, and it’s something that people spend their whole lives trying to find.

Nicole is a super indecisive collegiette trying to find her niche. A Metro Boston native, the only thing she's sure of is exactly how much a medium iced regular costs at the local Dunkies. Although Boston will forever have her heart, she dreams of seeing the world before real life drags her down. Her favorite things are Harry Potter, The Sims, and free sides of guacamole.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.