The Ultimate First Semester Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

There’s no question that freshman year is busy. Between meeting new people, trying to adjust to a new home, and keeping up with schoolwork, it’s easy to forget to find time for yourself and to have fun. It’s really important to dedicate time to do enjoyable things and to get away from the stresses of classes, so we’ve put together a list of things that you could try to do this semester to take a break from your demanding schoolwork:

Off Campus

Boston Public Garden

Living in a Boston is great: going shopping on Newbury, trying amazing new restaurants, tasting a cupcake from each of the cupcake shops. But it can be hard not being around nature, and getting away from the bustling city is a great way to clear your head and take some time either for yourself or to spend bonding with your new friends. The best part about the garden is that it’s located only a short walk from the Green Line- just get off at Arlington. Spend your time here relaxing on the grass surrounded by beautiful trees, taking a ride on the swan boats, or having a photo shoot with the beautiful nature as your backdrop!

New England Aquarium

The newly renovated aquarium is one of the most beautiful places in Boston. Even better, it’s a great option for a rainy or chilly day, since most of the exhibits are indoors. The new Giant Ocean Tank is a must-see, filled with thousands of animals, including sharks, sea turtles, and octopuses. Not only is the aquarium T-accessible, but it is also surrounded by a variety of wonderful places to grab lunch, most of them college-budget friendly. On a nice day, you can even take a quick walk over to Faneuil Hall for some well-deserved retail therapy!

On Campus

Hockey Game

It’s practically a rule that as a freshman, you have to attend a BU hockey game! While some collegiettes might not be avid sports watchers, the environment at these games is amazing and definitely worth experiencing. The fan section is the most fun, with a lot of BU students dressed in school colors and joining together for the chants. Pull together your cutest red and white outfit, some of your new friends and that cute boy from two floors below, and be ready to sport some face paint for the game! Even better, unless you have deactivated your sports pass, you get free tickets to the games just by using your ID card when stopping by the Agganis Box Office.

Floor Dinner

Now that people have started to settle in, you might have noticed that there is rising tension on your floor. Whether it’s drama between the couples that have sizzled out or arguments between you and your roommate over whose turn it is to vacuum the floor, it’s inevitable that not everyone is getting along as well as they were during the first few weeks. Now is a great time to get everyone together for dinner just like you did during your first couple of nights at BU. It’ll be nice to see everyone together again, and maybe you’ll make friends with new people on your floor! For an extra special treat, make your way over to Marciano Commons on Baystate. You’ve probably fallen into the habit of eating at Warren dining hall if you’re living in Warren or West’s dining hall if you’re in West, so take this dinner as an opportunity to switch things up! Not only will you be happy that you did it, but your floor will thank you for bringing everyone back together.

What have you put on your bucket list for this semester? Tweet at us @HerCampusBU and let us know what you would like to do before you head home for the holidays!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.