Tweeting with the Vice President about College Costs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Although the tuition increase at BU was one of the lowest in 40 years at 3.79% many students are still wondering how they will pay for college. On April 3, at 3:45pm, Vice President Joe Biden took to twitter to answer tweets about college affordability. This was part of a twitter campaign that encouraged users to tweet their questions about Obama’s plans to make college more affordable to more students. Leading up to April 3, users could tweet at the handle @VP or using the hashtag #askvp.

The Office of Vice President Biden responded to questions as to why tuition has been increasing, caps to yearly tuition, and student loan forgiveness programs. According to the @VP twitter handle, there is no proposal to cap to tuition increases, but there is a proposal to have incentives to keep costs down for colleges. The Office of Vice President Biden noted that colleges overall must limit increases:

It was also stated that cuts to the Pell Grant Program and increases to interest rates on loans are trying to be prevented by “pushing Congress” to prevent interest rates from going up. In addition, the office noted that money was added to pell grants.

More highlights from the conversation can be found at:

http://storify.com/vp/askvp-college-affordability?awesm=sfy.co_lck&utm_c…

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."
Shelby Carignan is a sophomore at Boston University studying journalism.