toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Top Halloween Movies and TV Series You Haven’t Seen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s almost time for a college student’s favorite time of year: Halloween. Right next to Christmas, Halloween has some of the best-themed movies around. There are plenty of classic spooky films such as Hocus Pocus and The Nightmare Before Christmas, but there may be a few themed movies and TV series that you’ve missed out on.

If candy corn and costumes haven’t put you in the Halloween spirit, here are some movies and TV series that might!

1. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

While this may not be your typical Halloween movie, it’s sure to give you a scare! Directed by the king of fantasy and horror, Tim Burton, Sweeney Todd tells the tale of a barber (Johnny Depp) who viciously murders his customers with a razor blade while his accomplice, Mrs. Lovett (Helena Bonham Carter) bakes their bodies into meat pies. Todd specifically looks to seek revenge on the Judge Turpin (Alan Rickman), who sent him away for a crime he did not commit, in order to woo his wife.

Though the film includes Stephen Sondheim’s classic music, this isn’t your typical song and dance musical. Burton’s film is gruesome and gory, so if you don’t like blood, close your eyes. Using almost exclusively black and grey colors, this revenge movie musical is the perfect Halloween flick — blood and all!

Where to watch: Amazon, YouTube, Showtime

2. The Twilight Zone

If Johnny Depp singing in costume and makeup doesn’t sound scary enough for you, try the classic sixties TV series The Twilight Zone. This science-fiction horror series has a different strange event in each episode. Episodes include a mind-reading boy who can send people away to a cornfield and strange creatures trying to bring down an airplane. The Twilight Zone can definitely be flat out crazy sometimes, but this classic show is still one of the greatest series to binge-watch this Halloween!

Recommended Episode: “To Serve Man”

This episode follows a group of aliens who land on Earth, promising to bring humans to their home planet of paradise. Before humans begin to volunteer to go to their planet, the aliens leave behind a book with the title “To Serve Man” and Michael Chambers, a cryptographer, works to decode it. What is inside the book is the mystery to find out.

Where to watch: Netflix, CBS All Access, Amazon

3. Edward Scissorhands

If you’re looking for something more low-key, then the cult classic Edward Scissorhands is a great option. Also directed by Tim Burton, this movie follows the shy and gentle Edward (Johnny Depp) who ironically has scissors for hands. When he is brought home one day by saleswoman Peg (Dianne Wiest), he falls in love with her daughter (Winona Ryder) and quickly becomes the talk of the town.

Where to watch: Amazon, YouTube

4. Twin Peaks

When FBI Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) comes to Twin Peaks to investigate the murder of student Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee), crazy things begin to unravel. Directed by David Lynch, this crime drama includes supernatural elements as well. The series also has a film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me and a recent revival season on Showtime.

Where to watch: Netflix, Amazon, Showtime

5. Psycho and Bates Motel

This classic Hitchcock movie and prequel series go hand in hand. In Psycho, Marion Crane (Janet Leigh) decides to runs away with stolen money and on the way, stops at Bates Motel to get some rest. Here, she meets motel owner Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins) who has an unusual mother.

Bates Motel serves as a prequel to the 1960 film, following young Norman Bates (Freddie Highmore) and his mother Norma (Vera Farmiga) after they buy Bates Motel. The show explains how these characters came to be, so make sure you watch Psycho first!

Where to watch Psycho: Amazon, YouTube, iTunes

Where to watch Bates Motel: A&E, Amazon, YouTube

If you haven’t seen them all, be sure to check out these films and series this Halloween!

Callie is double majoring in English and Cinema and Media Studies at Boston University. Outside of writing for HerCampus, her interests include watching movies, reading, skiing, and beauty. She is a Boston native. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.