Tips for Packing Up Your Dorm Room for the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The end of spring semester is quickly approaching, and for those not staying for the summer, that means packing up and moving out.  Trying to pack the year’s worth of stuff you’ve compiled in your dorm room can be daunting, especially while simultaneously trying to cram for finals.  Here are a few tips to ease the stress and make moving out a breeze (or at least not a tornado)!

1. Start By Throwing Out Junk

You know all those flyers that you grabbed at the beginning-of-the-year club fair?  All those pieces of paper that have called your desk home all year?  Start by throwing out those odds-and-ends you’ve accumulated over the year, so you get to packing what you’re actually taking home.

2. Fold Up Any Out-of-Season Clothes  

As summer approaches, and the weather gets warmer, you most likely have less of a need for your heavy fleece pullovers and knit scarves, transitioning to more seasonal rompers and light cardigans.  If you find your cold-weather apparel collecting dust in your closet, you might as well get a head-start on packing by folding it up and storing it away!  If you happen to have your suitcase lying around, packing up the clothes you know you no longer need ahead of time will give you less to pack on move-out day!

3. If You’re Taking Advantage of Storage Facilities, Designate What You’ll Be Stowing Away

Summer storage can be a great option for an easy summer move-out, especially for students coming from outside the U.S. or even from across the country.   Many schools offer accessible options for summer storage, often times collaborating with services like UPS.  If you choose to rent out space in a storage unit, start to keep a running list of what you’re choosing to store for the summer, so when it comes time to move your stuff into storage, you’re ready to go!

4. Start to Organize Your Room a Few Weeks Ahead of Move-Out

Let’s be honest, all of our rooms get messy throughout the semester, and before you know it, you’re missing a few socks and can’t seem to find that one jacket, even though you know it’s somewhere.  The key to not leaving anything behind on move-out day is getting organized early, so you’re not scouring the space behind your bed or under your desk as your parents are trying to load the car.

5. Don’t Wait Until the Last Minute

The best tip for a successful and stress-free summer move-out? Start packing and planning early! Packing everything you can as early as possible will leave you with less to do on move-out day and get you to summer faster!  

Even though packing is a pain, just remember that final exams are almost over, and that summer is right around the corner!

Lexa is a junior at Boston University, studying Journalism in the College of Communication. You can often find her sipping on an iced coffee and trying to take an artsy photo that fits her Instagram aesthetic. Lexa hopes she can someday combine her passions for fashion, art, dance, and writing into a career, but for now, she'll be strolling down Comm Ave trying to make #LifeasLexa a personal brand.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.