Three Funny TV Shows to Start Watching now that HIMYM is over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

There is no denying it: the How I Met Your Mother finale was hardly satisfactory. Whether you are up to date with the show or not, you were probably hoping that the episode would be focused on, well, meeting the mother. Spoiler alert: illness, death, and divorce should rarely be involved in comedies. The following are some shows I would recommend if you are trying to get that sour taste of HIMYM out of your mouth.

1. The Mindy Project

If you are a fan of the office and remember the quirky unpredictable Indian woman named Kelly, you have to check out this show that she went on to create. Mindy Kaling does a phenomenal performance as a gynecologist in New York City while getting into relatable trouble with ex-boyfriends, dealing with sexism and racism in a hilarious way, and bringing her personality to its fullest potential. If you don’t believe me, ask the 3.7 million other viewers after the show only started airing two years ago.

2. Parks and Recreation

When I first heard about this show, I was a little skeptical. Partially because my mother was the one who recommended it, and partially because its name is a pretty boring topic; I am not a fan of shows involving the government. But soon I felt strong ties to the small City of Pawnee, as the protagonist Amy Poehler is one of my favorite women comedians. If you are a fan of 30 Rock, I would highly recommend this comedy. I am proud to admit that I have actually laughed out loud alone in my room while watching this, and it is extremely quotable (you will probably start understanding many more memes on the internet).

3. Community

If there is any NBC show with a cult following, I would have to name Community as one. The moment you meet the hilarious best friends Troy and Abed, you will be hooked. These two favorites, along with the rest of their study group at a community college, will steal your heart and cause you to roll. The episodes are a bit out of the box, including imaginary worlds, time machines, and even Claymation. Also, if you are looking for a show with a recognizable cast, think Chevy Chase, Donald Glover, Joel McHale, and Ken Jeong, then turn on the TV and start watching.

So perhaps How I Met Your Mother is officially over, but there are an array of TV shows to latch yourself onto. Believe me, starting your homework will not be any easier now that HIMYM is out of the way.

Shannon Stocks is a Junior at Boston University in the Sargent School for Health Sciences, majoring in Speech Language and Hearing Sciences. She has always loved to write and focuses this passion on her poetry. In her free time, you can find her at spin class on Newbury Street, working on a project in the community service center, or at the Hillel House. She loves being a part of the Her Campus Team!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.