Thoughts on Hollywood’s Hottest Couple: Jelena

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’ve been a die-hard Selena Gomez fan since I was eight or nine. I’ve always supported her and view her as a role model in several aspects of my life. Sadly, a lot of her recognition came from her relationship with Justin Bieber that started in 2011. After talking to a few friends about the massively publicized couple, I kept hearing the same question; why do people care about them so much?

Here’s the short version: I don’t really know. For some reason, Selena and Justin have received a lot of publicity over the course of their relationship and I’m not really sure why, although I have some ideas.

When they were younger it was nice to see a really cute couple that seemed to be really compatible; nobody can deny that. It was this really adorable case of young love that just seemed really pure and innocent.

Photo Credit: PopSugar

People were most likely invested since both Justin and Selena were big rising stars, and the ups and downs of their relationship were of interest. We all have had those times when you sat around with your friends and just talked about the cutest couple in school. Well, Jelena was that couple for the general public.

Then, came the hoopla. I’m calling it hoopla because who the heck even knows what actually happened? Half of the stuff in the magazines was rumored and everyone had a different story. What did that do? Draw even more attention to the couple.

Their story became mysterious and everyone wanted to know what was real and what wasn’t.  A lot of stuff went down. They broke up and unfollowed each other on Instagram. Phew was that a big deal!

Now, it’s official in 2017. They’re back!

I am actually a pretty big Jelena supporter myself, but not for the reasons everybody probably thinks. Yes, they are cute, but that isn’t what’s important to me. I really believe that if they make each other happy, they should be together.

I can understand why they went through some rough times, they were young and constantly in the spotlight; the age-old celebrity sob story. They took some time apart to grow as their own people and are now ready to get back together.

Selena put it best in a recent interview with Billboard, “Maybe before, it could have been forcing something that wasn’t right. But that doesn’t mean caring for someone ever goes away.”

I think she is so right and I am ready to support Jelena in their new relationship and wherever life may take them. What’s most important is their health and happiness, not what the tabloids or the public opinions are. They sure do look happy!

Photo Credit: Pop Sugar

If being together means they are happy, then I support that and I think everyone else should too!

HCXO,

Dana

Cover Photo Credit: CNN

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!​

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.