Things Your Mom Was Right About (But You Don’t Want to Admit It)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Moms are so great! They’re our best friends, our confidants, and they love us no matter what. Even if you and your mom don’t always get along, you still know she’s always there for you whenever you need her. She gives the best advice, even if you don’t want to hear it, and she’s always right, even when you don’t want to admit it.My mom is one of those moms—always right. She has this thing she calls “Momverses,” aka when she tells me something and I insist she’s wrong but then a week later I realize she’s right and she wants to rub it in my face. Here are 16 “Momverses” – things your mom was right about, but you don’t want to admit:

1. When she told you to get that (insert article of clothing here).

Upon which you insisted it was “the ugliest thing you’ve ever seen,” but then it was in all the magazines a month later and all your friends were wearing it, and you just *had* to have twelve of them.

2. When she told you to wear a jacket.

It was literally so cold outside and you were so dumb not to listen. Now you’re a human icicle.

3. When she told you to take medicine before you start getting cramps.

She tells you this every single time you get your period, but every single time you failed to listen. And every single time she gets the satisfaction of hearing you moan, “YOU WERE RIGHT MOM” while in fetal position on the couch in the next room.

4. When she told you to make sure you have a pair of jeans that fit.

Or else it’ll start getting cold and you’ll need pants and you’ll realize they’re too short, too tight, and/or have a giant hole in the butt.

5. When she told you to be nice to your siblings.

Whether you like it or not, you’re stuck with them forever. Sometimes they may be all you’ve got.

6. When she told you to always be the bigger person.

It doesn’t matter if you’re right, and it doesn’t matter if the other person deserves the worst. You always have to be the bigger person, and you’ll always come out on top in the end.

7. When she told you to focus on school, not your social life.

I know this doesn’t sound fun at all, but being the most popular girl in school won’t get you into the school of your dreams. If you focus on your work, a social life will evolve around it.

8. When she knew that friend in elementary school was shady from the start.

They were mean to you on the playground and didn’t invite you to their birthday party, even though they acted like your best friend. Mom knew something wasn’t right, but you didn’t listen to her until you caught Sally Shadypants stealing pencils from your desk.

9. When she told you not to hang out with so-and-so.

She was right when you were in grade school, and she’s right now. She’s not trying to be a nag or get in your business or trying to control your life. She genuinely cares about your well-being, and she can tell it’s taking a toll on you when you come home from being with that girl who’s toxic and makes you feel less than great.

10. When she told you to drink water.

But you insisted you were fine, and then later you had a splitting headache from dehydration and had to sit on a bench with her at the amusement park while all your friends who listened to their moms got to ride all the cool rides together

11. When she told you that the guy all the girls like is bad news.

You might think he’s cute now, but trust her; it’s only a matter of time until you realize he’s playing you (and everyone else) like a harp. Don’t waste your time on guys like that.

12. When she told you to eat breakfast.

And you didn’t. You didn’t even take the granola bar or cheese stick she offered because you’re “too cool” for breakfast. I hope you’re “cool” enough for insatiable hunger all day until lunch.

13. When she told you so go to sleep.

This one is probably the most crucial when it comes to Momverses. No amount of cramming the night before is going to prepare you for tomorrow’s exam. You can’t retain it. It’s better for you to just go to bed so you have the energy and alertness for tomorrow to be the best guesser and checker the world has ever seen.

14. When she told you to tell the people you care about that you love them every day

You never know what life can throw at you, and you never know what you’ve got til its gone, and you never know what someone could need to hear you say that day (SO TELL YOUR MOM YOU LOVE HER!).

15. When she told you that you’d miss home more than you think.

I denied this statement left and right. I thought I would go to college and never look back. But I still find myself in tears over how much I miss home, and more importantly, my mom.

16. When she told you “It’s all going to be a blip on your radar”.

She knows. She’s been through the same things before (Maybe a little different, but ultimately the same). Mean girls won’t matter, the one D you got on your paper won’t matter, your broken heart will mend, life will go on. The only thing that matters is how you feel about yourself and taking care of yourself and learning from your mistakes. You don’t have to be the best, you just have to do your best.

I think that the lesson we’ve learned today is that we should always listen to our mothers, no matter how ridiculous they sound, because we all know she’s going to be right in the end. I love you, Mom!

Zoe is a Senior at Boston University in the College of Communication, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in English and Psychology, and is the Campus Correspondent for her chapter. Originally from the Washington DC area, Zoe loves going to museums, concerts, and working at Baby Gap. In her free time, Zoe can be found crafting, watching Netflix, and scoping out the latest trends. Always catch her yelling enthusiastically about something, or making really corny jokes.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis