Things I Say I’m Going to do This Summer… That I Actually Won’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Every year in the spring, I begin to make summer goals/ plans that I know I actually will not accomplish. I’m not sure if I’m the only one, but there’s just something about summer that makes me want to sit in the sun and not move for hours at a time. Maybe this summer I’ll get out of the rut, or not, either way, here are some things I’ve “committed” myself to so far.

1. Keeping a journal.

I think I have like 6 journals that start on the first day of summer on my bookshelf at home. All of which, start and end on the same day. I have a terrible memory, and the idea of journaling always seems like an awesome habit to adopt, but it will just not happen.

2. Diet/ Have an Intense Workout Schedule.

I haven’t completely lost hope in this one yet, but the chances that I will stick to this the entire summer, especially when I’ll have a kitchen a hallway away, are not so good.

3. Road trip!

Every summer since I got my license, this idea has been in my plans. Has it ever actually happened? No.

4. Not spend any of the money I make at my summer job.

For some reason I always think that because I’m home I won’t be spending any of my own money. False.

5. Start reading some of my books for the upcoming semester.

As soon as I go home, especially right after finals, the school switch is just completely turned off. By the time I’m ready to start focusing again, it’s too late and I’m already packing. 

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."