timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

There’s No One Like George Abdien

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

On the day I was born, he was the first to hold me. I’m not even exaggerating when I say this; my mom was too tired and hungry to even look in my direction. But, then again, who can blame the woman — she hadn’t had a cup of coffee in hours.

He encouraged me to speak my mind when necessary, but listen as carefully as possible.

When I was 17, he was the one I saw Michelangelo’s paintings with in Rome.

When I was 13, he leant me his “Boston” sweatshirt as we rode on the Codzilla speed boat tour of the Harbor together in the freezing cold.

When I was 9, he helped me speak publically in front of hundreds of people, all for my mom’s 40th birthday.

And when I was 1, he was the first person I flew on a plane with to visit my family in Sweden.

He’s the one who shares my humor, who loves my mom without question, who’s an inspiration to more people than he knows. He’s my Dad.  

I’m only 19 years old. You moved to the States from Sweden when you were a year younger than I am now. Can you describe your exact emotions when you migrated at such a young age?

“When I migrated, I was very excited. I was mostly looking forward to the future and the opportunity to build a better and more successful life for myself.”

Our country has clearly changed in several different ways over the past few decades. You’ve been here for approximately four of those decades. How would you say our nation has changed overtime?

“Unfortunately, our nation has become more divided over the last few decades. It’s sad to see this happen since times were so different when I first flew over. I still, however, will always believe that this is the best country to live in.”

What were your perceptions of America, or “The American Dream,” when you were moving to the States? Did you have any preconceived notions about the principles the United States stood for?

“When I moved to the United States, I could immediately sense the principles of liberty, freedom, and prosperity. It was clear. I had always dreamt about the U.S. and the opportunity to grab hold of the American Dream. I wanted to grasp the will to work hard and follow my dream. The American Dream remains up and out there for anyone to grab. This country, my country, has endless opportunities in what is has to offer for its citizens to succeed in life.”

Would you have recommended me to do what your parents, my grandparents, encouraged you to do at such a young age? Is it something you look back on and are thankful for? Do you believe that this move helped you grow? Do you agree with their parenting in that regard?

“If you, Athena, were in the same situation that I was in Sweden, with the family support that I had, then I would have encouraged you to do the same thing. Especially since I never moved here on my own, luckily, I had my older sister to guide me. In regards to your circumstance now, you have every opportunity here and all the love and support to complete your education, and to fulfill your future in a positive structure. That was one of the main reasons I moved here. Even though I was not married, had not met your mother, and had not had you, I knew that I wanted to give you this opportunity so that you would live in the greatest country in the world. I agree 100% with the parenting your grandparents, my parents, attained. I’m more than grateful that I made the move and that my parents allowed me to do this. I miss the time that I was away from my parents, my brothers, and my sisters, but I knew it was for my benefit and for yours as well.” 

You were known as the popular stud during your high school years. The one that protected his friends, was respectful to his family, and dated as many Swedish girls as you could. Would you say the States matured you? Were you looking to mature?

“Hahaha! Yes, high school for me was more fun than it should have been and that’s why I did not succeed as much as I could have with my education. But I was always respectful to my friends and family, 100%. As for the Swedish girls, you have may have exaggerated that a little bit! Hahaha, that’s the reason your grandparents pushed for me to come here. There was no real future in my soccer career, and my education would not go far if I stayed there. The states matured me, but it was not easy. It took a lot of hard work, and emotionally, it was very stressful at times. I’m glad I did what I did with the move to come here.”

You moved quite a lot as a child. Was that difficult on you growing up? Or did you think and know your parents would only act on things they knew was best for you?

“Moving is always stressful, but we only moved to improve our lives from the old country to Sweden and then, for me, out here. Of course, that takes away from some of the roots that other people have. But, it helped me build strength, character, and maturity – as long as you keep your head screwed on right. There were a lot of hard battles I faced, but you have to go on with a smile.”

What parenting skills did you adopt from your parents?

“This is very easy. To love your kids unconditionally, and do whatever you can for your child. That is the greatest parenting skill any parent can give to their child. Keep your eyes open and be careful who you hang around with.”

How has “The American Dream” changed since you moved here?

“I don’t think the American Dream has changed. I think that it’s all based on what you do to grab onto it.”

You’re a very successful business owner, father, and husband. Do you think moving to the United States helped you accomplish those three things? If so, how?

“In regards to the move, it may have affected me as a business owner. But as a father and a husband, things would not have been too different if I stayed in Sweden, as I would have likely had a similar story. But the best accomplishment in my life was having you.”

How did your life change for the better when you met mom?

“Coming to the United States, I met your mom and our lives changed for the better – especially after you.”

How did your life change when you found out you were having your first and only child? How did it change after having me?

“In regard of you and how you changed my life? My life stopped being about me and changed the first second that I held you in my arms. It was an indescribable, great feeling when you came into this life. And only a parent can describe that feeling. The first minute I knew we were having a baby, until the second I held you in my arms, was an indescribable rollercoaster of love and happiness. You brought sunshine into my eyes, and that will stay with me until the end of time. And that’s what true love is, my beautiful daughter”

Side note: Okay, I’m literally crying writing this.

What’s something you would say to your younger self as a piece of advice?

“My advice to my younger self would be, don’t waste too much time on superficial friendships and concentrate more on your education and the people that love you and you hold dear.”

Thank you, Dad, for being the brightest light in my life.

Hello everyone! My name is Athena Abdien and I am sophomore writing for HerCampus at Boston University studying political science. I love the city of Boston and all that it has to offer, and I thoroughly enjoy using the accessible resources surrounding me day-by-day that benefit not only my skills as an academic, but also as a professional seeking a career conjoining politics, the general humanities, and journalism.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.