This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Thursday has rolled around yet again and it’s time to reminisce. So lets “throw it back” to high school. High school, oh high school, how little we miss thee. Early mornings, trivial homework, unnecessary drama…the list could go on. But no matter how great college has been to us, there are a few things we can admit to missing. So bring on the memories and #tbt to what we do and don’t miss about our high school years.  

What We Miss:

1. The Minimal Effort Required

Let’s face it. Compared to college, we pretty much breezed through high school. Try forgetting to turn in assignments, barely studying, and skipping class several times a month now and see how well you survive your courses.  

2. Having No Responsibilities

Tuition, bills, groceries, everyday college expenses…. We certainly didn’t have any of these concerns in high school. Getting a job felt more like an option than a necessity. Additionally, we had parents to take help us take care of the little things like laundry and waking up on time when we needed to do so.  

3. Passing Notes

Note passing is probably a much more trivial piece of high school to miss. But honestly, who didn’t enjoy getting a perfectly folded piece of paper full of mystery, secrets, and pure comedy. Obviously there’s texting, or even talking in person. But there’s something about the thrill of note passing and trying not to get caught.  

4. Teachers’ Involvement 

There were those teachers we despised. But then there were those we adored. And think of how involved they were. Teachers accommodated to our needs, constantly reminded us of assignments and responsibilities, and personally knew us, in and outside of the classroom setting. You’re doing something right if your lecture professor even knows your name. And good luck trying to get him to accept your excuse for missing a deadline or understanding your personal issues. 

5. Friendships 

We don’t get a chance to talk to and meet up with our old besties as much as we would like, especially if attending college hours away from home.  Of course, we have great college friends now. But that high school clique was something special. 

What We Don’t Miss: 

1. 8 Hour Days/5 Days a Week 

Waking up around 7:00 a.m. and attending classes for 8 consecutive hours, 5 days a week….No thanks! You couldn’t pay me to go back to that rigid scheduling ever again. And it’s amazing how we could shower, get dressed, eat, and promptly make it to school by 8:00. Now we moan, groan, and roll out of bed, barely making it on time to an 11:00.  

2. Daily Meaningless Homework Assignments

Sometimes having a course grade that relies solely on a midterm, project, and a final can blow. But I don’t think anyone misses having homework assignments due almost daily.  College is definitely composed of a ton of readings. But trivial assignments due incessantly were a greater bore.  

3. School Lunches

Cafeteria food was not the greatest. The choices were limited and it left us disappointed all too often. Not to mention the fact that we were forced to eat at the same hour everyday for a limited time period. 

4. Living on Our Parents’ Schedules

Nothing beats that newfound freedom we have in college. We do what we want, when we want to do it, and exactly how we want it done. We certainly didn’t always have that luxury in high school. 

5. Pressure to get College Acceptances

And who can forget that weight we carried on our shoulders for months as we awaited admissions decisions. How could we miss those hours antagonizing over the SATs, applying for multiple colleges at once, and the constant reminder that every little thing we did would have an affect on our college acceptances (Now, applying for grad school, med school, law school, etc. in the future is another story. We’ll cross that bridge when we get there!).

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.