samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Struggle of Finding a Summer Job, as Told by The Office

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Amongst the stress of finals and packing up a cluttered dorm room is the impending anxiety of finding a summer job.  Whether you’re looking for an internship, a part-time gig, or you’re just desperate for anything that pays, who better to explain the struggle of finding summer employment than the employees of Dunder Mifflin Paper Company.

Step 1: Realizing you’re broke

At the end of the school year, every student cringes when they look at the balance of their bank account.  After textbooks, late-night munchies, and stress-induced online shopping, you’ll realize you need to find a summer job.  

Step 2: Being overwhelmed by job search sites

Type in your zip code on any job search site, and you’ll see hundreds of listings pop up.  Most likely, you’ll find yourself scrolling right past most of them.  But take a deep breath, because there’s still 27 pages to look through.    

Step 3: Feeling underqualified for every job

Throughout the job hunt, you may find yourself wanting to tear up your resume and give up when reading the “necessary experience” section of the job application.  Seriously, 3-5 years of retail experience seems a little excessive, doesn’t it? Side note: does binge watching Netflix count as a special skill?  

Step 4: Listening to your parents reminding you to get a job

I know mom and dad, I need to start making my own money. But it’s a cruel world out here for college students trying to find a summer job, okay?   

Step 5: Being jealous of all your employed friends 

Everyone has at least one friend who’s already locked down a killer summer internship.  Or even worse: a friend who found that rare, magical, paid internship.  It can be hard not to be salty when you’re still on the job hunt.   

Step 6: Applying 

After a tiresome job search and a few mental breakdowns, it’s finally time to apply.  Get out your resume and your letters of recommendation, and let the self-promoting and exaggeration of special skills and accomplishments begin!   

Step 7: Finally getting the job

The struggle is over and you’ve finally got yourself a summer job—AKA a source of some money to replenish the bank account you drained over the school year.  Celebrate now, ’cause tomorrow morning, it’s time to get to work, girl.

And for all you collegiettes still looking for a summer job, who knows, maybe a small paper company in Scranton, Pennsylvania is hiring?

Lexa is a junior at Boston University, studying Journalism in the College of Communication. You can often find her sipping on an iced coffee and trying to take an artsy photo that fits her Instagram aesthetic. Lexa hopes she can someday combine her passions for fashion, art, dance, and writing into a career, but for now, she'll be strolling down Comm Ave trying to make #LifeasLexa a personal brand.
Giana Grimaldi is the Integrated Marketing Director at Her Campus Media, overseeing client services and campaign execution for leading national brands across the company’s digital, experiential and community platforms. Prior to joining Her Campus Media, Giana assisted with the development and implementation of several PR campaigns in the energy, financial services and nonprofit sectors as an Account Coordinator on the Public Relations team at Rasky Partners. Giana attended Boston University, where she studied Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and was also a chapter president of Her Campus at BU. Giana loves all things music, social media, food, and reality TV. When she's not at work, you can find her at the gym, watching Netflix, making the perfect Spotify playlist, or spending hours scrolling through TikTok videos. Follow her on Instagram @_gianamaria.