Strategies For Sticking to Your Goals 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We all have dreams. It’s natural to wish for greater things— just look at how many self-enhancement books are on the shelves in a library. It is the lack of action, however, that generates dreams rather than goals to manifest throughout the population. Such is why many dreams have been carried to graveyards and locked away for eternity. But, it’s a new year and with any new year, comes a staggering list of resolutions. Though this time around, let’s actually make them happen. We’ve all heard the common practice to “write down your goals to help achieve them” but I’ve compromised a series of targets to help you in achieving your goals if writing hasn’t worked:  

1. Make it smaller.

Goals are typically grand and understandably so– we all want to accomplish great things in life but the trick is to start small. Giving yourself an unrealistic and horribly time-consuming task will make you much less eager to fulfill it. Set a smaller task you can see yourself accomplishing today. In fact, once you’ve started taking little steps, it’ll be much easier to keep this positive momentum going towards your goal. 

2. Eliminate bad habits.

Scrolling through Instagram more than five times a day or watching an infinite amount of Facebook videos can steer you away from reaching your glorious goal. Try downloading the app Moment, which tracks how much screen time you’ve utilized throughout the day. If you’re one to use the phone too much, this app notifies you when you’ve exceeded your screen time for the day and even allows you to set your daily limits.

What’s great is that it informs you on what apps you use the most. By cutting back on that, you’re opening a whole new world of time to engage in positive, self-enchanting activities. Let’s say your goal is to lose weight, but you can’t seem to get socially disconnected whatsoever—try compromising. Instead of sitting down during a phone call or scrolling down feeds, try walking around or sitting on a stationary bike. 

3. Everything matters.

More often than not, we think “f*ck it” if I don’t go to the gym today, I can always go another time…this mentality then leads to unhealthy habits. It’s tempting to skip a workout. The key is mindfulness and the realization that every little thing matters. Meditation helps a lot with understanding how to differentiate between fleeting satisfaction and long-term consequences. Use sticky notes on your bathroom mirror or phone reminders filled with mantras that will remind you of your long-term goal. 

4. Accountability 

“If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.” This quote beautifully embodies the power of reaching your goals with the aid of others. By telling your friends that you’re dieting, they can ensure you stay true to your goal. If you want to learn how to play piano, sign up for lessons. If you want to paint more, call up friends or colleagues and set up a wine/painting night. 

5. Give yourself a break   

It’s okay to rest. In fact, it’s scientifically proven that resting is important. Restorative actives bring your brain back into focus and make it stronger than before. A car can’t run on an empty gas tank and, well under a degree of abstraction, neither can we. Take the time to do some self-care and re-energize before throwing yourself into all activities with deficient energy. 

6. Surround yourself with people who have the same goals 

Have you ever heard the saying “birds of feather flock together”? It’s true—people with the same sort of character or interests tend to be found together. Aim to hang around people who have already achieved the goal you have set or who are on the same path as you. This can only motivate you more and, furthermore, cultivate greater accountability. 

7. Think you can 

Believe you can and you’re already halfway there. Self-confidence and the belief that you can truly achieve your goals is so important. Even if your goal seems impossible and you don’t know how you’d ever come to reach it…fake it till you make it and believe you can! Henry Ford’s first and second companies collapsed, but he still had the belief and strength to start a third—what we now know as Ford Motor Company. 

Goals and challenges are important. We learn and most certainly grow from them. The trick to accomplishing them is taking small, incremental steps daily. Though one must also understand that there will be failures and set-backs—life’s messy like that—but, it will be the greatest of us that will push through those circumstances and not give up.

In the words of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, a German writer and statesman, “Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.” Make magic my friends. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

ielwaw@bu.edu
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.