A Short Guide to Celebrating Your Birthday During Exam Week 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Exams suck, especially when your classes schedule three to four exams a semester. It’s like you never get done with them, and even when you have those few weekends off where you aren’t dying in Mugar, you’re still working on something.  

What’s even worse is that sometimes, important days fall within your major exam weeks. Valentine’s Day this year was right before two of my exams. Last year, well, I had an exam scheduled on my birthday and the day after. Which was okay, because it was only my twentieth birthday. And surprise, surprise, this year I have an orgo exam the day after my birthday. Exciting way to start 21.   

But, it’s the curse of April/May birthdays. After years of experience, I have found ways to cope with it. Here are some tips to (hopefully) make your or your friends’ birthdays wonderful(ish). 

1. Cupcakes

They’re fast, and still slightly celebratory. So instead of cutting a cake for your friend, bring a cupcake (along with a box of cupcakes – because, well, stress eating) and a candle for her.  

2. Go out when you can

I get that there’s an exam, and finals on the rise, but you can take a couple hours off once the big exam passes. Last year, I went to go watch a play, and this year, well it’s still an open book. Treat yourself once the exams end, not only for finishing one more exam week, but for making it another year.  

3. Spend your birthday alone

Maybe you’re not the one with exams. Maybe it’s your friends. Maybe it’s the end of the semester, and they all are somehow busy, and seem like they’re going to bail on you last minute. It’s not the worst thing in the world to celebrate your birthday alone. Go do something fun. Take yourself to a movie, go for a stroll in the Commons, sit on the docks and just read. Do something that’s important to you. I once spent a day volunteering for something I found important on a day that was important to me, and it made me feel happier about the way I spent that day.  

4. Take an hour off

If your birthday falls on a weekend, go out for dinner. Invite your closest friends (because, honestly, only your close friends would sacrifice studying time for you) and go somewhere that you’ve always wanted to go, but never did. This way, you get to pick the restaurant and hang out and blow off some steam. 

It may be tough, but not impossible to celebrate your birthday during exam week. And even when you’re overwhelmed with work, make sure to treat yourself — it is your special day after all! 

Alizah Ali is a senior at BU. She's working on her biology-premed degree, which finds her often in the quietest parts of the library. She loves coffee and bunnies and running whenever the Boston weather lets her. She's a big advocate for mental health destigmatization and awareness. Follow her on instagram @lizza0419
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.