Seven Best Study Spots on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When I first came to BU, I naively thought that the only place to study on campus was either my own bedroom or the main library. But as I was about to be hit with a snowball of finals, I found that Mugar was overcrowded, and I was unmotivated to camp out for a prime window spot with an outlet at 7 in the morning. I then discovered a few other places to study. Below are my favorite places to set up my studying site and truly dig into my work.

1. A campus coffee shop:

Whether your preference is Pavement, Starbucks, Dunkin, Panera, or my personal favorite, Blue State coffee, studying in a coffee shop can fuel your studying with doses of needed caffeine. If you work well in a place with a bit of a background noise, or if you work best with your headphones plugged into some jams, I would definitely suggest the place with the inexplicable comfort of smelling wafts of fresh baked cookies and freshly steamed milk. 

2. The dining hall during off hours:

As you can tell, I may appreciate studying with a good snack and a cup of joe in hand. If you come to the dining hall during off hours, such as at 4:00 right before an early dinner or at 11:00 before lunch and right after breakfast, it is not difficult to get a good spot. Don’t forget to fully charge your computer though, as it is even harder to find an outlet in the dining hall than it is to get an omelet on a Sunday morning!

3. The dining hall during off hours:

You probably have heard of the breathtaking view from the top of the second student village building. There is more to this building than just the 26th floor; there are quiet study rooms on the ground and second floor with couches that you can sink into and desks of perfect height.

4.  HoJo study lounge

Many students are unaware of this, but there is a conveniently located study lounge on the top of 575 commonwealth avenue, and this building too has an impeccable view of the city. Next to this study lounge is a quiet room, for those of you who enjoy studying to the sound of nothing.

5. 100 Bay State upstairs

Naturally, hundo bay is known for it’s incredibly large dining hall, delicious cafe Rize, and uncomparable guilty pleasure meals in Late Night Kitchen. But right up the stairs there are floors of writing resource centers, tutoring, and learning spaces perfect for hours spent with your textbook and, again, a view of the Charles River.

6. Hillel

Speaking of quiet spaces and glorious views, the Hillel House is completely underrated when it comes to finding study spaces. On the first and second floors there are large comfortable chairs and couches facing the river, along with a couple of smaller rooms with large tables to spread out your notes. And, of course, there is a dining hall conveniently located on the third floor with some of the best meals on campus. 

7. Other Libraries

It’s true: there are other libraries on campus which are less crowded than Mugar as the holidays draw near. Check out the Sci building, Sargent, or CGS for just a few of these great library choices. 

Shannon Stocks is a Junior at Boston University in the Sargent School for Health Sciences, majoring in Speech Language and Hearing Sciences. She has always loved to write and focuses this passion on her poetry. In her free time, you can find her at spin class on Newbury Street, working on a project in the community service center, or at the Hillel House. She loves being a part of the Her Campus Team!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.