Samantha Felder (CGS ’17)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

From Stamford Connecticut, meet this week’s campus celebrity, Samantha Felder!  A sophomore in CGS with plans to transfer into SMG, Sam is making a difference in the Boston University community through The Louis Felder Basketball Tournament, a charity event that she created in memory of her father, Louis Felder.  Taking place every November, students as well as people outside of BU have the opportunity to participate in a night of basketball and philanthropy, two things that were very important to her father.  Through this tournament, Sam honors her dad and helps live out his legacy as a Jewish philanthropist and supporter of Israel. 

How did this foundation start?

After my dad was tragically murdered, I felt like I needed to do something in his honor.  My dad was always a huge family man and strong believer in the Jewish faith.  After losing him, I wanted to create a foundation that represented who he was as a person, something that would show his character.  When I came to BU, I met with my friends Shira Ben-Shushan and David Danesh and just threw the idea at them about possibly starting a charity in memory of him.  They were the ones who gave me the final push to do it.  After informing me of the fraternity AEPI who was coming back on campus and looking for a new philanthropy to support, I decided to meet with them and discuss different charities as well as my idea of creating a yearly basketball tournament, and from there, The Louis Felder Memorial Basketball Tournament was created.

What is the significance of playing basketball?

Anyone who knew my dad knew that his basic priorities in life were, family, and then basketball.  It was such a huge part of his life and he had such a passion for it.  What was so amazing was that he never played to win, he played to play.  He actually found something that made him happy and excelled at it, something my family and I try to do now as well.  By playing in a basketball tournament, we are remembering him as well as honoring the characteristics that he found so important in others.   

When does the event take place and how do people get involved?

We have only been doing this for two years now but usually it occurs once a year in November.  We set up a Facebook event with a link to Eventbrite, which is a site that people can buy tickets and make their teams on.  What’s so great about the foundation is that no money gets taken from the people to pay for the event, all of it goes straight to the charities. 

Which organizations do you donate to and why did you choose those organizations?

Since I paired up with AEPI, we decided on the charities together but I think the most important part about the ones we donate to is how they each represent a part of my father’s character.  All of the charities are Jewish or Israel related which was a huge part of my dad’s life, as I mentioned before.  Since my dad was extremely Zionistic, having the ability to donate to charities like Sharsheret, FIDF, and Save a Child’s Heart, just to name a few, is how I believe my father would’ve wanted me to give back.   

What do you hope this tournament can do for the charities it gives back to?

I think the basketball tournament is a great way of getting people together to have fun and still make a difference.  By them just taking out a Saturday night of their time in college to play basketball, they are not only touching me and my family but are also touching so many other’s hearts around the world as well.

What would you say this tournament means to you and your family?

Everyday is a struggle for my family and me. The pain doesn’t get easier, but by making this tournament in my father’s honor it helps us to make our lives seem normal.  It is a milestone for me because I have finally figured out a way of making myself happy, my family happy, and my dad proud as well.  He wouldn’t want us to sit and be sad. He would want us to push ourselves to excel and get other people involved.    

What are your goals for this charity and the future?

This year, we have raised over $4,000 for charity, which is an amazing accomplishment!  I hope to continue the basketball tournament through my years here at BU and if it doesn’t maintain itself after I graduate, I hope to bring it to my town or somehow get it to continue yearly.  My dad gave me the strength to go for my dreams and I know that what we are doing with The Louis Felder Tournament would definitely make him proud. 

Sam continues to inspire us through everything she has accomplished thus far through The Louis Felder Memorial Basketball Tournament.  She is truly making strides with her philanthropic efforts and we know she will continue to do so!      

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis