From Runway to Campus: How to Take Trends and Adapt Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With New York, London, and Milan fashion weeks in the rear view, and Paris fashion week just beginning, fashion will begin to change around the world. This change should be expected on-campus, but some trends can be tricky to make your own. Take inspiration from these selected ideas to find your own style.

Merch

Merch is going to be here for a while, so head to a concert or thrift store to pick up your favorite graphic tee. Dolce and Gabbana went all out for the finale of their SS17 show by adorning all of their models in printed tee shirts. If you weren’t lucky enough to get on of Kanye’s merch items and are tired of the Brandy Melville Led Zeppelin shirts that are everywhere, go for a vintage (or vintage-inspired) merch shirt and pair it with anything- from jeans to trousers.

Microfloral

Microflorals are the younger sister of in-your-face bold patterns. These prints can be worn like neutrals, and they are a welcome addition to virtually every outfit. Stella Jean’s show was filled with these quirky microfloral prints, but you can opt for a cheaper alternative, such as this skirt from Nasty Gal.

Sleepwear

The recent Ports 1961 show was packed with all kinds of magical silk stripes. If you want to try something other than the lingerie trend, go for this fun, workplace appropriate trend. This dress from Topshop is the perfect year round piece. 

Hemlines

This season hemlines are all over the place, as seen in the Versace show. Ditch your a-line, button up skirt that you wore all summer and erase the high-low hemlines of 2012 from your memory. Go for a truly asymmetrical look that was seen all over the runways. If you want a wearable and versatile option, check out this skirt from Asos.

Whether you take your inspo from fashion week or fashion around campus, these wallet-savvy options are sure to make your wardrobe pop!

I am an Atlanta-raised writer living in Boston. I have had a fixation with magazines, pop culture and styling my whole life.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.