Review of “You Are A Badass” by Jen Sincero

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Self-help books sound stupid and like a waste of time to many people, but sometimes, you can come across a real gem. You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero is a great read for a feel-good book, full of self-love and self-focus!

I was given the book by a close friend as a Christmas present about two years ago and throughout high school, it kind of just sat on my bookshelf collecting dust. When packing for college somehow it fell into one of the boxes that came up to Boston with me and while unpacking I figured its bright yellow cover looked pretty cute on my desktop.

I’m a super sarcastic and witty friend, so when I finally decided to pick up this book to read at the beginning of freshman year I found it to be quite funny. The way Sincero writes is different from many other books; it’s almost like you are having a conversation with her. She doesn’t sugar coat what she says; she just says what she wants and goes with it. I found it to be an interesting and engaging read.

As far as how good of a self-help book it was, I don’t have much to compare it to since I haven’t read many. But I will say this, it did get my mind off the stresses of college when I read it. I found myself reading a few chapters a night so that my mind was focused on something other than essays and exams. It is definitely an easy to read and light book.

I was going through a boatload of homesickness and sadness about being away from my friends so reading a book that made me focus on myself helped me remember that yes, I am, for sure, a badass.

She includes a lot of lists and short quotes that make the book easy to get through while making you think about yourself. If you are looking to really figure out who you are, I wouldn’t suggest this book though– I found it to really be more of a confidence booster and an embrace-who-you-are type read rather than a change-everything-about-yourself-to-be-better read.

One of the things she said that has stuck with me is “you get to choose how you perceive your reality. So why, when it comes to perceiving yourself, would you choose to see anything other than a super huge rock star of a creature?” This also gives a pretty good example of how she writes; she uses everyday language with a sense of humor that makes these huge questions seem so simple.

I also really enjoyed chapter 8 titled “What are you doing here?” Since I had been reading it during such a huge adjustment in my lifestyle, which was moving to college, I think this chapter had a huge impact on how I began to see my new home.

I think, after finishing the book, it depends on what you are looking for if you will enjoy this book or not. For me, I just needed to get my mind off of reality and laugh, so this book did its job. For someone looking for a more serious self-help book, I wouldn’t suggest this one. But I found the entire thing to be entertaining and a great read before bed after a long day of craziness.

Don’t ever forget that you are a badass, but if you need some reminding pick up Jen Sincero’s book You are a Badass!

Cover photo: Journey Strengths

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Delanie is a senior at Boston University who loves Pavement's iced tea and the Charles River. She has a passion for writing and is on an adventure to find the best coffee shop in Boston. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.