This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This past semester I became a nanny for one of the sweetest families I have ever met, right here in Brookline.  There is a myriad of ways that you can find a good, well-paying babysitting job, starting with your friends, sorority sisters, co-workers, or fellow classmates, and ending with quickie jobs at BU’s student employment office. Here are just a few reasons why you should become the next Mary Poppins of Brookline Village.  

1. Kids are cute

The girl I babysit for told me that I was a cup and she wanted to drink me all up. Then she drew me a picture of us playing hopscotch together. Tell me you don’t want that in your life.

2. Sometimes all the children do is nap

I once got paid to babysit a sleeping child for three hours. Think about all those wondrous hours of studying you can get done, while getting paid the big bucks!

3. The family often has a pet

Forget about waiting in line at the library for your ten instagramable seconds of fame with the pet therapy pups. Nearly every family I have babysat for has had a very lovable cat, dog, or hamster ready for all the therapeutic cuddles. 

4. There is always a set school schedule

It is pretty clear: children get out of school at 2:30, and parents get home around 5:00 or 6:00pm. Your schedule is set, and it will rarely vary. 

5. You get paid immediately

Forget about waiting until the first of the month, or even having to take out taxes. After all, you need to buy those new shoes for formal ASAP. Ask the family for cash, check, or even Venmo.

6. They will always ask you to work more hours

Whether there is an early dismissal or they need you to cover their date night, you will almost always be asked for more hours. And you know what that mean$. Oops, was that a typo?

7. You will love it, and the kids will love you!

Trust me.

Shannon Stocks is a Junior at Boston University in the Sargent School for Health Sciences, majoring in Speech Language and Hearing Sciences. She has always loved to write and focuses this passion on her poetry. In her free time, you can find her at spin class on Newbury Street, working on a project in the community service center, or at the Hillel House. She loves being a part of the Her Campus Team!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.