Reactions to Justin Bieber’s New Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Bieber Fever is back and stronger than ever. On Friday, November 13th, Justin Bieber released Purpose, his fourth studio album. The deluxe edition, containing 19 tracks, featuring artists such as Halsey and Big Sean channels major R&B and hip-hop sounds. The album is #1 on iTunes charts worldwide and has received positive reactions and reviews. We listened to the album and here’s what we thought!

“Mark My Words”

“Mark My Words” is the first track on the album, a song filled with honest lyrics and a slow, catchy beat. We loved it.

“I’ll Show You”

Track #2 channels soft R&B vibes and a strong chorus. This song had been released prior to the full album release, so we knew that we loved this song before we revisited it on Purpose.

“What Do You Mean?”

“What Do You Mean” was another single released prior to the full release of Purpose. You can’t help but dance to this song, which is kept to the beat of a ticking clock. With its undeniable hip-hop sound and catchy beat, this song is an undeniable jam.

“Sorry”

“Sorry” was the final single released prior to the unveiling of Purpose. Paired with an insane dance video, it’s physically impossible to stand still when this song is playing.

“Love Yourself”

Bieber collaborated with Ed Sheeran on this song, so it is obviously lyrically beautiful and acoustically advanced. With a moving message, a chorus filled with harmonizing, and Bieber’s strong vocals, this is one of the best songs on the album.

“Company”

Another song that’s impossible not to dance to — we are sensing a pattern here! With it’s catchy beat and dance vibes, “Company” is the perfect song for a party.

“No Pressure” Ft. Big Sean

This R&B track is soulful, deep, and displays Bieber’s amazing vocal range. Plus, it features Big Sean! What else could we want?

“No Sense” Ft. Travi$ Scott

Another soulful R&B song, another success.

“The Feeling” Ft. Halsey

This song, packed full with Justin and Halsey harmonizing, is a hauntingly beautiful R&B track. Once again we couldn’t help but dance.

“Life Is Worth Living”

“Life Is Worth Living” is a breath of fresh air, as it is only Bieber’s voice and a piano. With the exquisite message that life is worth living although things are never easy, this honest and emotional song truly encapsulates Bieber’s journey through the high and low points of his personal life and career.

“Where Are Ü Now” Ft. Skrillex, Diplo

The first single released in anticipation of Purpose, this song is arguably the most popular on the album. Heavily focused on the unique beat, “Where Are Ü Now” is a classic at raves and parties everywhere.

“Children”

With an upbeat rhythm and an empowering message that we are generation that will change the world, “Children” is another highlight of Purpose.

“Purpose”

Another emotional song, “Purpose” is once again simply Justin’s voice and a piano. Featuring a voiceover at the final moments of the song, Justin tells everyone to “give it all you got or you’re only cheating yourself,” admitting that he is sometimes weak but still tries his best. No we are not crying.

“Been You”

Yet another song that is perfect to dance to! This album rules.

“Get Used To It”

With a catchy beat and funky lyrics, we are obsessed with this song.

“We Are” Ft. Nas

“We Are” is soulful and possesses a beat unique to Purpose. This is a perfect song to both sing and dance along to. Plus, Nas features his rapping skills with excellence.

“Trust”

“Trust” may be the most soulful track on Purpose, featuring a slow beat accompanied by enchanting piano riffs and Bieber’s range of vocal pitches. We love it.

“All In It”

In this song, Justin urges listeners to not do anything unless their hearts are completely in it. We feel you Justin, we feel you.

“What Do You Mean?” (Acoustic Version)

Anything acoustic is amazing, and a song like “What Do You Mean?” recorded acoustically is everything. It exemplifies Justin’s attractive voice and acoustic roots. We never want this song to end.

Overall, we loved Purpose. This album depicts Justin Bieber’s growth from his early music to now. We hope you all like the new album as much as we do!  

Taleen is a freshman in the Boston University College of Communication, pursuing a degree in journalism. She aspires to write for magazines and newspapers about current events. When she isn’t blogging or studying, Taleen enjoys spending her time discovering new music, redecorating her dorm room, taking BuzzFeed quizzes, FaceTiming her cat and searching for the most delicious cup of coffee in Boston. You can follow her on Twitter @taleensim
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis