This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Most people have trouble getting used to the dining hall at the beginning of the semester and then get very tired of it by the end. I don’t like eating in the dining hall at any point during the semester, so I had to learn to make some meals in my dorm. I thought I had limited options, but there is actually a wide variety of meals you can make in your dorm.

There are seven meals listed below so you can avoid going to the dining hall for at least one meal a day. They’re all healthy, and there are options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

1. Hummus plate

Photo Credit: Peas and Crayons

This is my go-to meal. All you need is hummus, pita bread, and some vegetables of your choosing. I cut the pita into slices, grab a handful of baby carrots, and cut up half a cucumber. I use a few spoonfuls of hummus so I have enough to dip everything. Plus, hummus is high in protein and fiber.

2. Quesadilla

Photo Credit: Food Network

In a pinch, you could make a cheese quesadilla in about a minute and run out the door. If you want a slightly higher quality meal, there are a few things you can add to bring your microwave quesadilla to the next level. In addition to the cheese and tortillas, you may want to pick up some vegetables to include as well as sour cream or salsa for dipping. You can also get microwave rice if you want a bigger meal.

3. Pasta

Photo Credit: Food Network

You don’t need a stove to cook pasta as long as you have a microwave-safe dish. This is a much better option than the microwave mac and cheese or ramen cups, which are never enough food and aren’t healthy. Instead, fill a microwave safe dish with pasta and enough water to cover it. You may need to cook it for a couple more minutes than it says on the box, but it’s worth it. When it’s done, drain the water and add your toppings. (I don’t have a strainer and usually just use a spoon to keep the pasta from falling as I tilt the bowl.) Add any sauce you want, or you can even make mac and cheese. Maybe throw in some vegetables too if you’re feeling healthy.

4. Omelet

Photo Credit: Ready Set Eat

Crack an egg or two into a mug and whisk with a fork. I add cheese, spinach, and a bit of lunch meat, but you can add whatever you like. Cook it for about a minute (but definitely check to see if it’s done before you eat it).

5. Salad

Photo Credit: Taste

You can make a salad for a full meal, or as a side. All you need are some greens, vegetables, and dressing. Make sure to wash all the greens and vegetables. If you need more substance to your salad like me, include croutons, cheese, nuts or lentils in your salad as well.

6. Rice Casserole

Photo Credit: The TipToe Fairy

You can buy microwavable rice that cooks in just a couple minutes. After that’s done, combine cheese, frozen broccoli, and a splash of water. Microwave that for another couple minutes, and then stir it in with the rice. Here is the original recipe.

7. Roll-ups

Photo Credit: Shanell For Real

This is sure to bring you back to your childhood, but it’s a great meal for everyone, not just children. Make roll-ups with lunch meat and cheese (and lettuce if you want to get more greens in). Include some fruits and vegetables on the side, and you’ll be good to go. This is great, especially if you’re trying to cut back on carbs.

Home cooking is always better for you than eating out, including restaurants and the dining hall. These meals will help you stay healthy and make the most of living in your dorm until you have access to a kitchen.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emily is a communication student at Boston University. She discovered her go-to accessory, a camera, at age two. In her free time, she explores the city, binge-watches Netflix, searches for cute bookstores, and wanders through any parks and gardens she can find. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.