Public Snapchatting: Your Etiquette Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Whether it’s in class, on the bus, or at a party, we’re all guilty of the public snapchat (by the way, walking on the street is where I draw the line – could cause some major traffic jams). This act usually involves making not the classiest of faces in public, and you can spot a public snapchatter from a mile away – look for the pursed “duck lips,” maybe a peace sign if she can hold her phone steady with one hand. Usually I go for the dub-chins look, but that’s more of a personal preference.

So how does one conceal her public snapchatting? There are a few tricks of the trade that will allow you to be courteous to those around you.

Some people consider this to be common sense, but I’ll say it anyway – make sure no one can see your phone. First of all, it’s rude to have your phone out (in the professor’s range of vision) in class, so avoid being that person who’s shamelessly snapchatting in the middle of a lecture. It’s also wise to sit where no one will be able to look over your shoulder and see you in selfie form – or worse, actually end up in the photo.

You have a lot more leeway in places like the T or at a party. Namely, no one really cares what you do there! So go wild (but not too wild…those types of snapchats should be reserved for a completely different location). When on the T just avoid really blatant facial expressions that might lead to some awkward eye contact with a stranger. Otherwise, snap away! When at a party, on the other hand, is a time to get creative – grab your friends and that guy whose been walking around with a ukulele all night and snap til the break of dawn. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.