Pocket Saving Places to Go Around Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When it comes to spending money in college, or in life, most people usually want the best deal for their bargain, the most bang for their buck. So below are some places and activities that will save your money and most important be equally, if not more fun than an expensive, over-priced attraction.  

1.     The Freedom Trail: Walk around and take a tour of historic Boston that covers three miles and 16 historical sites. And enjoy Mother Nature for free!

2.     Quincy Market: Enjoy food, shopping, culture, and scenery all in one spot!

3.     Museum of Fine Arts: Observe a vast collection of ancient to modern art. Show your college ID to get discounts; free admission to all BU students.

4.     Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum: One of the world’s most remarkable art collections! And only $5 admission with your current student ID!

5.     Go to a sporting event: Boston Red Sox, Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots and don’t forget to get student discounted prices!

6.     Support the Terriers and attend BU sporting events!!!

7.     Skywalk Observatory: View the city of Boston from up high! Only $13 for college students with ID!

8.     Gilliland Observatory: Enjoy some city views and star gazing at the Museum of Boston on Fridays from 8:30 pm-10:00 pm for free from March through Mid-November. 

9.     Coit Observatory: Enjoy free observations at BU of the night’s sky on Wednesday evenings starting at 7:30 during the fall and winter and 8:30 in the spring and summer.

10.  MIT Museum: Super technology and science exhibits, free admission on Sundays 10am – noon, and the second Friday of each month at 5pm – 8pm. 

11.  Harvard Square: Enjoy Cambridge and do everything at one – shop, dine, laugh, and stare at all the people going by.

12.  Newbury Street: Shop till you drop! Dine and shop all on one street.

13. Boston Public Library: A good read could never hurt someone! Enjoy a good book or attend free events in the beautiful structured building.  

14. Coolidge Corner: Hang around and watch a movie!

15.  Coolidge Corner Wine and Spirits: Offer free tastings from 6 p.m. to 8 pm Thursday and Friday and Saturday from 4 p.m. to 7 pm.

16.  Swan Boats: Ride the Swan Boats! Driver paddles passengers around the Public Garden Lagoon for a 15 minute peaceful cruise. 10am – 5pm from June through Labor Day. Only $3 for adults.

17.  USS Constitution: Tour the USS Constitution, the oldest commissioned warship afloat in the world. Open on Tues-Sun from 10am – 5:50pm. Free tours every 30 minutes.

18.  Sam Adams Brewery: Take a tour of Boston’s famous brewery for only a $1 donation.

19.  Hatch Shell: Experience free music and movies in the summer!

20.  Chinatown: Head over to and experience the Asian culture!

21.  Frog Pond: Getting close to the winter, go skating on the pond in the Boston Commons.

22.  Lucky Strike Lanes: Show off your bowling skills!

23.  Franklin Park Zoo: Lions, tigers, and bears, and more for only $14!

24. House of Blues Boston: Perfect for live music and dining experiences. 

25.  Mike’s Pastry: Delicious desserts at the North End for a good price! 

26.  Boston Gardens: Have a fun and relaxing picnic in the garden!       

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.