This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Periods are messy. Periods are painful. Periods are embarrassing. Periods are expensive. Periods are a monthly struggle that many people must deal with. “Period. The Menstrual Movement” is here to help! What could be better? Boston University students are bringing the movement to campus and spreading awareness! I met with Kyra Gordon, Samira Saran, and Tori Abdalla to get the inside scoop on what they are hoping to accomplish and what they want others to know about the movement.

What is the history of the organization?

Period. is a nonprofit organization that aims to provide menstrual health products to underprivileged women, primarily those who are homeless. It was founded in 2014 by two high school students and has expanded to more than 100 chapters around the world. Period. is the largest student-run organization regarding menstrual health and has received recognition from O Magazine and Loreal.

What are the goals of the organization?

Period. works towards their three pillars of service, advocacy, and education. The organization has a focus on healthcare. The first main goal is to hold packing parties in which “period kits” will be created. They will contain different menstrual products and will be given to shelters for homeless women at absolutely no cost. These supplies will come from donations. The other major goal is to eliminate the taboo nature surrounding “period talk.” The organization is also hoping to address the transgender community by putting trash cans in men’s bathroom stalls.

How did you get involved in Period?

Kyra: “I’m very interested in reforming American health care in general and it starts at the grassroots. Something like having a period is nothing to be ashamed of. It’s natural.”

Samira: “When I first came to BU, I noticed there weren’t many niche organizations, so something I really wanted to do was bring a very targeted service organization to BU that deeply resonates with me as a woman and someone interested in public policy and political science. It’s important to recognize that period is not a luxury. There are people who cannot afford these items so they are using substitute items that can cause other health problems like infection.”

Tori: “Back in high school I was very involved in a homeless shelter close to my community. We would always have clothing drives but we would never focus on something that was so intrinsic to women. From the age of 13 to 60, women have this forty-year thing they struggle with every month. These women have to struggle with the burdens of being homeless in addition to the burden of being a woman every single month.”

How can your fellow Boston University Terriers get involved?

The goal of this article is to spread awareness and encourage people to join and get involved in the movement. Anyone can join, even men.  Everyone can join, regardless of gender, political preference, it doesn’t matter!

Follow the Facebook page, join the mailing list, and look for a meeting in the near future!

What’s something you hope sticks with people after reading this article?

“Toilet paper is free and necessary, so why shouldn’t tampons be free too?”

The tagline for the BU chapter is “Scarlet Strong,” so join the cause and be Scarlet Strong!

It was so nice to catch up with Kyra, who I went to high school with, and meet her friends, Tori and Samira. I really enjoyed hearing about this incredible organization. Help to support this amazing cause by joining today on the Facebook page!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Lauren is a Health Science major on the Pre-Med track at Boston University. She loves anything science and loves writing in her free time. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.