The Perfect Book for Every Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With such packed schedules, it can seem impossible to even think about having time in college to do any pleasure reading. But actually taking just a little time each week to read something that isn’t chosen by a professor is a great way to relax and get lost in a different world, while still sharpening your mind. So no matter how stressed or busy or sad you find yourself, take a break from paging through those heavy textbooks and pick up something that isn’t on your assigned reading list.

When You Want to Laugh:

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Good Omens is a collaboration novel between two well-known fantasy/science-fiction novelists who have joined together to create a hilarious story about an angel and a demon who must work together to try and stop the Apocalypse after they have somehow managed to misplace the Anti-Christ. Although the concept may seem strange at first, the novel is packed with constant banter, witty pop culture references, and truly ridiculous scenarios that will have you completely absorbed and laughing along instead of stressing over final projects of upcoming exams.

When You Want to Cry

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

The Bell Jar is an incredibly personal and emotionally heavy novel about a young woman’s battle with depression and thoughts of suicide that was inspired by Plath’s own concerns and difficulties with mental illness. Esther, the narrator of the novel, portrays her ideas with such a realistic, honest voice that the reader instantly becomes captivated by her troubles. The Bell Jar is perfect for those days when you want to just bury your face in a pillow for a few hours and get lost in someone else’s problems.

When You Feel Lost and Overwhelmed

Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger

While Catcher in the Rye is often seen as the essential coming of age novel for high school students, few people are aware that Salinger also wrote another novel called Franny and Zooey . This book deals with Franny Glass, a twenty-year-old college student who’s struggling with an intense personal and spiritual crisis that has her considering dropping out of school all together.

Many college girls struggling with their own feelings of helplessness or worry may find comfort in seeing a character in their same situation, and may also find guidance in the advice of Franny’s older brother Zooey as he offers her inspirational (and often snarky) advice about why life is so important.

When You Feel Confident and Strong

The Portable Dorothy Parker by Dorothy Parker (duh)

When it comes to wit, there are few writers who can compare to Dorothy Parker. A member of the famous Algonquin Round Table in the 1920s, Parker was famous for her endless wisecracks and dark wit that constantly pushed social boundaries.

Her collection of poems, short stories, and essays is filled to the brim with clever anecdotes and deeply truthful observations. Since it isn’t a single novel, this book is perfect for those times when you want a brief read or a burst of inspiration. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.