PC GLOW, College Day @ Fenway, College Fashion Week, Free Yoga: Events You Need to Go to This Week

Posted -

If you're like me, you either have midterms and essays due this week and the next. Yes, midterms already.

Luckily, BU has a ton of events that can help relieve some of that stress when you need those study breaks. (Speaking of study breaks, sign up for your daily dose of Her Campus' Study Break newsletters, which are chock full of flash giveaways that you can only enter through its newsletters! Plus, check out the hottest viral videos, coolest new brands and curated content.)

Once again, if I've missed your event (it happens!), please don't hesitate to email me (ssu@bu.edu) with details!

ALL WEEK

SigEp Food Truck Fundraiser – All this week, eat at any on-campus food truck (Paris Crêperie, Pennypackers, Chicken & Rice Guys, Cookie Monstah and Momogoose), and be entered to win Red Sox tickets and free chicken and rice for a month (limit one per day)! Red Bull will also be at the trucks throughout the week giving away its drinks. Proceeds will go to to the Balanced Man Scholarship, which strives to recognize incoming male students who exemplify the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity's philosophy with awards ranging from $1,000 to $5,000. RSVP to the fundraiser here.

MONDAY, SEPT. 24

College Night at the Museum of Science – Yes, it's back! Supported by The Metro and KISS 108FM, College Night at the Museum of Science “welcomes students back to the city in style – with an evening of free science fun,” according to MoS. Starting at 5 p.m., with a valid college ID, you get access to the Museum's Exhibit Halls and any two of the following venues: the Butterfly Garden, Mugar Omni Theater, 3D Digital Cinema and Charles Hayden Planetarium. You can also check out the Theater of Electricity show, the live animal show and other live performances. Feeling adventurous? Hop aboard a free Boston Duck Tour and explore the city both on land and on water! For more information, contact MoS at information@mos.org or at 617-723-2500.

“Roadtrip Nation” Screening and Discussion – Every Monday from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. join the BU CCD/ERC in room 101 of the Student Support Center on 100 Bay State Road to watch and discuss a documentary series of three 20-somethings on a journey of self-discovery. “Roadtrip Nation” features interviews of comedians, social activists, entrepreneurs and more. Register to attend here.

TUESDAY, SEPT. 25

Japan Career Information Session – Ever considered working in Japan? Learn how you can get a job in Japan from an experienced guest speaker from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in room 206 of SHA, 928 Commonwealth Ave.

WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 26

Sargent Choice Test Kitchen – Learn how to make Sargent Choice meals at home! Join StuVi2 faculty-in-residence Karen Jacobs and other students from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. at apartment #2302 on 33 Harry Agganis Way as she teaches you how to cook smoky black bean burritos with baby spinach. For more information, contact Karen Jacobs at kjacobs@bu.edu or at 617-353-7516.

Free Sunrise Yoga – Take a break from schoolwork with free Pura Vida Kripalu Yoga classes on the top floor (26th!) of StuVi 2 from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m every Wednesday! Talk about a beautiful view of the sunrise. For BU students and staff of all levels and yoga backgrounds, the yoga classes help relieve some stress and relax your mind and body. Bring a yoga mat and water. Register here, and be on your way to a healthier and happier you! If you have any questions, please contact Cristie Siegele at csiegele@bu.edu.

BU CCD Workshop: Engaging Professors – Learn how to talk to your professors and take advantage of office hours from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the Student Support Center in room 101 of 100 Bay State Road! Your professors can be great resources if you know the correct ways to approach and keep in contact with them. Register to attend here.

BU ERC Workshop: Sleep Management – Sleep is more important than you may think. Not only is it vital for your health, but your performance in class depends on having eight hours of sleep consistently. From 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. in room 101 of SSC on 100 Bay State Road, learn how and why getting the recommended and ideal number of hours of sleep every night is not as hard as you may think. Register to attend here.

Landing an Internship – Everyone wants an internship, but how do you make yourself stand out and make sure you land that coveted position? Identify the steps to exploring, finding and, ultimately, landing an internship from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the CCD, the sixth floor of 100 Bay State Road. Register to attend here

Dress for Success Workshop – What should you wear to a job interview or internship? Learn from the BU School of Hospitality Administration and Men's Wearhouse from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the SHA Auditorium in room 110 on 928 Commonwealth Ave. The workshop is open to the BU community, and registration is not required.

[pagebreak]
THURSDAY, SEPT. 27

Farmers' Market – Every Thursday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. till October 25, the BU Farmers' Market will feature fresh, tasty fruits and veggies from local farmers, delectable pastries and breads from local bakeries, honey, gluten-free and vegan cookies and much more for you to buy. Trust me, you don't want to miss out on Taza Chocolate! Check out live music and other partnering organizations, including BU Bikes and Sargent Choice.

BU Study Abroad at the GSU Link Information Tables – Ever wanted to study abroad but don't know how or where to go? If you want to apply to study abroad this spring, the deadline is coming up! Speak to students and staff about BU Study Abroad from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the GSU Link on 775 Commonwealth Ave.

POEMJAZZ – Hosted by BU's Howard Gotlieb Archival Research Center, POEMJAZZ features three-time Poet Laureate Professor Robert Pinsky (CAS English) and Grammy-winning jazz pianist Laurence Hobgood at 12:30 p.m. in the Conference Auditorium, the second level of GSU. They will perform excerpts and discuss the innovative and successful POEMJAZZ project. A conversation between the sounds of poetry and music, POEMJAZZ also treats a voice speaking poetry as having a role like that of a horn: speech with its own poetic melody and rhythm, in conversation with what the music is doing. Listen to a performance of excerpts from the Circumstantial Productions’ POEMJAZZ CD, ask questions and get an insider’s look into how POEMJAZZ is made, with a discussion between Prof. Pinsky and Mr. Hobgood. For more information, contact Christopher Gately at archives@bu.edu or at 617-353-3696.

FRIDAY, SEPT. 28

BU ERC Workshop: Test Prep – As you've probably experienced, cramming never works. Learn how to motivate yourself to start studying and what you can do to prep well. Listen to tips and successful study strategies from noon to 1 p.m. in room 101 of the SSC on 100 Bay State Road. Register to attend here.

Expo-losion – Invite your friends to discover how you can get involved at BU from 10 p.m. to midnight at the GSU. Meet student organization leaders in a fun and engaging environment.

Cinematheque: An Evening with Alison MacLean – Every Friday at 7 p.m., BU COM's Film and TV Department presents Cinematheque, a series of meetings and conversations with filmmakers and free screenings of important, innovative films. Free for BU students, staff and friends, this week's screening in room 101 of COM (640 Commonwealth Ave.) features Alison MacLean and shows for which she has directed, including “Sex and the City,” “Gossip Girl” and more.

Dance Showcase 2012 – Invite your friends to watch the BU Dance Program's showcase at 8 p.m. at the BU Dance Theater on 915 Commonwealth Ave., featuring faculty and guests, including Boston Ballet II and choreographers Lorraine Chapman, Gina DeFreitas, Lynn Modell and more. Call the box office at 617-358-2500 for tickets, which are $10 for students and the BU community. For more information, contact Micki Taylor-Pinny at mtaypin@bu.edu or at 617-353-1597.

101 Gala – Experience a stunning 16th-floor view from the Hyatt Regency Hotel's Charles River Ballroom, a 180-degree panoramic view of Boston and overlooking the Charles through floor-to-ceiling windows. Invite your friends for music, food, a photo booth and fun! Tickets are $15 for a group of 10+, $17 for early birds and $20 at the door. Reserve a ticket by contacting BU Taiwanese-American Student Association at butasainfo@gmail.com with your name, school and phone number. You can also purchase from the GSU Link all week from noon to 4 p.m. or through any BUTASA E-board member. Attire is cocktail. RSVP here.

SATURDAY, SEPT. 29

PC GLOW – Join BU's Programming Council at 9 p.m. at the SAC Gym (1 University Blvd.) for its second annual, wild, fun-filled, glow-in-the-dark paint party full of neon paints, glow-sticks and great music by DJ Case. Make sure to wear old clothes because things will get very messy, but avoid bringing bags and other valuable items because there will be no storage space. RSVP here.

College Day @ Fenway – Join thousands of Boston-area college students from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Gate B of Fenway Park for giveaways, unique photo ops, door prizes, free good and more! Be sure to bring your college ID for entry. If you register ahead of time here, you can get quick access to its Spin-to-Win wheel, where you're guaranteed to win a prize and be automatically entered to in a laptop from HP Academy! It's free to register, so do it now! RSVP here on Facebook.

College Fashion Week -- Her Campus BU, HCBC, and HCNortheastern are all coming together to put on the baddest fashion show at The Estate from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. There will be fashion shos featuring student designers, tons of free food, prizes, performances from different student groups including the Boston University Dear Abbeys! Even though it's at a club, you only need to be 18+ to attend! You must be on the guest list to get in, though, so make sure you register and tell your friends! RSVP here on Facebook!

SUNDAY, SEPT. 30

Free Ice Skating – On select Sundays until December, Agganis Arena and FitRec will be offering open skating from noon to 2 p.m. free of charge. Invite your friends and bring your own skates to the Feld Public Skating entrance on Harry Agganis Way.

MONDAY, OCT. 1

Free Yoga Class with Rob Halpin – Invite your friends to relax with hatha yoga taught by local instructor Rob Halpin Presented by BU Wellness and Prevention Services, the free class will take place from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.in the Cinema Room at Warren Towers. Students are encouraged to bring their yoga mats if they own them. For more information, contact Katharine Mooney at wellness@bu.edu or at 617-358-5362.

NEXT WEEK: Sargent Choice Test Kitchen, Columbus Day, Moonlight Ball

Rep photo by Alex Valentine. Text photos by Alex Valentine and BU TASA.

Get more HC!

Get the best of Her Campus, right in your inbox! Learn more.

About The Author

A student journalist at Boston University, Sonia Su has been writing for HCBU since fall 2011. This past summer, she was one of 22 collegiate correspondents for USA TODAY College, a national site for high school and college students. Sonia also interned for BostInno, a news startup in Boston. She hopes to learn more about tech and the start-up world. To see all of Sonia's Her Campus posts and more of her work, please check out her personal website.

Follow Sonia on Twitter and Pinterest!