This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Living with someone can be really difficult. I’m an only child, so having a roommate was a totally new experience for me last year, and sharing such a small room can get complicated. It’s easy to feel like you don’t have your own space. I loved my roommate last year, and couldn’t wait to live with my best friend for our sophomore year. Unfortunately, over the summer my housing plans fell through and I had to find someone new to live with. Having to find someone to live with made it feel just like freshman year all over again and I was really stressed out about it. Then, one day, a girl named Jamie messaged me on Facebook saying she also needed a roommate and the rest is history.

So, to my wonderful roommate Jamie,

I know I told you this wouldn’t be mushy, but it’s going to be. But don’t worry, it’ll be much more than that, just like our friendship. Living with people can be really hard, especially when you don’t know them beforehand. I know we talked on Facebook for a few months before we moved in and determined we were long lost twins, but I was still terrified to meet you when we moved in. I had painted a picture in my mind of what you were going to be like, and I can honestly say you were even better than I thought. Obviously, we knew we got along well enough to live together, but this has become a lot more than just being roommates.

Between movie nights watching Hercules and Pocahontas, you and Lara emotionally scarring me with The Last Five Years, your favorite pen, belting out Disney songs at all hours, coordinated mental breakdowns, our nightly traditions, and horrific dancing, I’ve not only found a great roommate, I’ve found an amazing friend.

I know not everyone is best friends with their roommate and, I’ll be honest, I didn’t know how close we’d be since I have a super tight-knit group of friends that I’m with all the time. But over the last month and a half you’ve become a crucial part of my life. Whether it’s proofreading each other’s essays, pigging out on chocolate, making fun of Evan, listening to me complain, or laughing about how our lives are both disasters, I can honestly say you’ve become one of my closest friends here at BU. 

It hasn’t been a long time, but this is a friendship I see going beyond just our year living together and our study abroad in London next year. You’ve proven to be someone I can count on no matter what and someone who will tell it to me like it is, even if I don’t want to hear it. You give me space when I need it, and you’ve seen me at my literal worst this past weekend (I know I’m an ugly crier and I’m sorry you had to see that LMAO).You’ve listened to me complain about petty drama and talk to my cat in my baby voice and still don’t find me unbearable and that means a lot to me.

My hope is that I can be there for you in the way you’ve been there for me. I know we joke about it a lot but life really hasn’t been all that fair to us lately and with all the stress and BS going on, I want you to know I’m always here for you for anything you need — whether it’s a hug, chocolate, or to just stay out of the way when you need space. I’m here for you as your roommate and, more importantly, as your friend.

So, here’s to more Dan and Phil, inside jokes, weird noises, trying to figure out what we’re doing, and houseplants. I hope this wasn’t too sappy so you don’t follow through on your threat of punching me.

Love,

Ari 

Hi, I'm Arianna! I'm a senior at Boston University majoring in journalism. I love cats, food, hockey, and anything beauty related. I write about "How to College" and what has helped me in my transition process from tiny high school to huge university. I hope you enjoy!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.