Natural Skin Remedies for You to Use This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As the flowers bloom and ice melts, the warmer weather may wreak havoc on our skin. However, for every skin issue, there is a natural remedy or preventative food that will solve it. Some of these foods can be found at the dining hall salad bar, but you may have to journey to Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s or the Haymarket Produce Market for others.

Arugula: Sun Exposure

This bitter green releases phytochemicals when chewed that can help with the aftermath of spring break sunburns. Arugula will lessen inflammation and reduce UV damage redness, and it is also consider a detoxing powerhouse.

Dandelion Greens: Acne

This superfood is slightly harder to find (ask the produce manager at Whole Foods if you cannot find it), but it will help banish acne and excess oil caused by the increasing temperatures. If your grocery store is out of fresh dandelion greens, you can also use dandelion root tea.

Garlic: Acne and Early Aging

This distinctive food isn’t only a cancer preventative—it also has antibacterial properties that can help eliminate acne. In addition, it boosts circulation, which wards off wrinkles and other signs of early aging caused by sun damage and toxins.

Lemon: Dark Circles and Dry Skin

In a stress-filled semester, sleep can often be put on the back burner, which can cause dark under eye circles. Diminish those dark circles by putting lemons in a large glass of water each morning. After sipping on infused water, you can use the peels as an exfoliant to get rid of any residual dead skin cells.

Romaine Lettuce: Rough, Dull Skin

This salad base can almost always be found at the salad bar, which is convenient because it packs a punch. The vitamin A helps keep skin smooth and youthful, while also contributing to healthy cellular growth.

As you can see, these natural remedies can help you improve that winter skin. But whatever you do, make sure you’re taking care of the skin you’re in!

I am an Atlanta-raised writer living in Boston. I have had a fixation with magazines, pop culture and styling my whole life.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.