Minimalist Accessories to Add Some Flair This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Spring is the season of freshness: the air feels new, flowers are in bloom, and it’s the step in the right direction towards summer. For college students, it’s also the busiest time of the school year with everything coming to a temporary end. During this time, we often stick to habits and ritual, especially when it comes to fashion. But, like the environment and the world around us, we deserve some freshness too! Here’s how to add some pop to your style without too much of a hassle.

1. The bandana.

The bandana has elevated in its fashion usage since John Wayne was rocking them in Western films. Now, you can use them in a number of ways. One look the neck scarf: twist or fold it into a whatever size you’d like (mask style or choker style), loosely wrap around the base of your neck, and work it! Another is the handbag knot or the thick bracelet style. The possibilities are endless!

2. The thin hoop.

Earrings have always been the go-to subtle accessory. Thin metal hoops turn up the minimalism to a whole other level. You can rock these hoops a number of ways: hair up or down, casual wear or party attire. If you have double-pierced ears, you can do a big-small hoop combo. You can even just do one hoop to add a little more umph! Plus, there is a spectrum of shapes and sizes for you to choose from.

3. Headwraps.

It’s relatively easy to put together a fit with the pressure of class and work. Hair, however, is definitely an uphill battle when you’ve got little to no time. Luckily, the head wrap trend is saving all of our lives. Wear it with a top knot or a half-up-half-down do. Head wraps have the power to turn any flat, dull hair fiasco into a classy and colorful fashion statement.

4. Pins.

If you’re going for the true minimalist lifestyle, that means your closet will mainly consist of neutrals and basics. Pins are a great way for your personality to shine through these simple outfits. You can attach them to shirts, jeans, jackets, bags, you name it! Plus, they’re awesome because you can have a plethora of pins and still keep your space clutter-free by designating them to jar or box.

5. Scrunchies.

Scrunchies are hands down the quietest comeback kid of the 80s. Some people are resisting the vintage trend, but it’s a pretty beneficial one. Utility wise, they are super comfortable and don’t give you the usual elastic band headache after awhile. Stylistically, they add a subtle style to your hair looks. And when you’re just wearing them on your wrist, they act as a cute bracelet.

We hope these accessory trends help you spice up your fresh spring look this year! And remember, it’s never too late for a style update.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Noelle Monge is currently a senior in CAS, studying English. She loves earl grey-flavored treats and things that taste like fall, Broad City (#yas), and millennial pink anything. She's a Guam girl living in the always busy, eternally beautiful city of Boston. Hafa Adai all day!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.