Meet Maddie Hughes: HCBU’s New Senior Editor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Name: Maddie Hughes

Year: Class of 2020

School/major: COM, journalism and PR

Hometown: Downingtown, PA

Position: Senior editing intern

At Jess’ coffee hours this past Monday, I sat down with her, Maddie, and my Panda Express to find out a bit more about our new senior editor. After catching up on our weeks as we usually do, Maddie and I got down to business discussing celebrity crushes, favorite foods, and how much we want to be the highest incentive point-scoring chapter.

Why did you want to join HC and when did you join?

Maddie and I have similar stories in how we got involved with Her Campus. Last year at our freshman Splash, we each happened upon the pink and white table. Maddie knew she wanted to write for something in college and, unlike high school where she worked for the newspaper, she wanted to venture into an online publication. She wanted something “more like an online community and to branch into online stuff.”

Her initial reaction to Her Campus was that it was “a cool online Buzzfeed. I wanted something fun but something that would advance me at the same time.”

What made you want to be on the writing team?

Maddie has always loved writing and it was something she always wanted to do, so joining Her Campus “was a really easy decision for me.” At the time she joined she hadn’t branched into PR and didn’t quite understand how all the different teams connected, so the writing team was the obvious choice for her.

When did you become an editor and what was your favorite part about it?

Last winter, BU’s chapter was looking for new editors and Maddie jumped at the chance, sending in her application over winter break. Being an editor was special for Maddie because “Finally I was getting a hand at reading other people’s content… [I] like to see people’s voices.” Last year our chapter was much smaller so she was only editing for two writers which allowed for her to “really get to understand the people’s voices and how to make sure that they didn’t lose that voice.”

What has it been like working with Jess, our current senior editor, and what was your first big task?

(At this point we just went into talking about how great Jess is and how much we’re gonna miss her *sob*)

“It’s been great. She’s so on top of everything so it makes it easy for me and she explains things pretty clearly,” Maddie said with a smile. It’s been a little overwhelming and nerve-wracking to take the torch for the semester, but Maddie is very excited to get started with things. She has already gotten some experience with what needs to be worked on or changed because she and Jess have had to put out “a lot of dumpster fires.”

Maddie has also been responsible for helping develop the writing workshops and editorial calendar for December which is quite a big task, but she’s up to the challenge. “Jess and I are pretty gentle people but I think we sometimes need to put the fear of god in people” she said as they both laughed. It’s true, they’re both gentle and amazing, but don’t worry, they won’t be too hard on all of us since we’re a supportive team. When they say something needs to change its for the betterment of all of us.

Why did you wanna be so involved?

“I feel like that’s just the kind of person I am. I’m just the type of person once I’m in something I’m usually just super passionate about it. I want to push myself.” Maddie has definitely pushed herself as she has quickly moved up the ladder in Her Campus over the last year and a half and we’re so thankful for all the work she’s done. She also added that the editing experience has “opened a lot of doors for me in terms of my personal life and career.” Lastly, when she came in as a freshman she wanted to find a community, something I’m sure we can all relate to, and she found the best way to find that was to get involved with something, which for her was Her Campus.

What is your goal for next semester as senior editor?

“More news content on the site. I think we all have pretty strong opinions and I think even having specific people to just solely focus on news could be good.” While she’s only taking over until Jess gets back, Maddie has some big plans and ideas to help everyone develop next semester.

If you could design one event for HC what would it be and why?

While she wasn’t sure exactly what the event would be, she definitely wanted it to be for the writing team. The feel among the writing team can sometimes be every man for himself since, while we’re not working against each other, we’re not writing directly together and everyone wants to be on the most read. So Maddie was envisioning a trip to the Boston Globe or HC Media headquarters (they’re in Fenway, fun fact) to show everyone what writing and journalism can turn into. She wants to show people that this can be a successful career and not just something to do for fun.

After talking all things Her Campus, we got into the more exciting and juicy details of Maddie’s life outside of editing:

Intended career/ dream job: Entertainment PR

Maddie would love to be the person who cleans up the crises of celebrities: “I don’t necessarily like the Kardashians but they would be a PR goldmine.” Either that or something to do with magazine journalism pertaining to investigative pieces. As for her dream job, Maddie drew on her childhood and brought up something that would “still be so funny now,” which would be to become an actress on a cheesy teen soap opera. Just imagine it, Maddie making her appearance on Riverdale.

Celebrity crush: “Ooh spicy… I say my go to Ryan Reynolds.” Drake was a close second, but no one beats Deadpool.

Favorite food: She had a tough time with this one but ultimately decided on pasta.

Favorite movie: Heathers, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Favorite way to spend a snow day: If she’s not feeling too lazy she likes to go out and just play in the snow, but watching Christmas movies with friends and getting cozy is also a favorite.

Hidden talent: “I have a knack for accidentally being super clumsy.” Example a: The 275 Babcock sign fell on her once. Example b: she’s fallen off a bus before. Moral of the story: Maddie needs to be in a bubble at all times so things stop falling on her.

I hope you all enjoyed getting to know Maddie a little better before she takes over. I can say from experience she is a joy to work with and she’s so funny and nice. Honestly, the time I’ve spent with her and Jess at coffee hours is a time I always look forward to because it’s just a lot of laughing and bonding over stressing about finals, complaining about article issues, technological difficulties, or cringey roommate stories.

If you haven’t had the chance to talk to Maddie, definitely make the time next semester because you won’t regret it!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi, I'm Arianna! I'm a senior at Boston University majoring in journalism. I love cats, food, hockey, and anything beauty related. I write about "How to College" and what has helped me in my transition process from tiny high school to huge university. I hope you enjoy!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.