Mardi Gras from the Eyes of a BU Girl

Posted -

Last weekend I escaped Nemo's wrath to travel down south for a different type of blizzard--instead of watching snow outside my window, I was screaming for beads as they seemed to fall right out of the sky into my outstretched arms. I was walking miles in shorts, no winter coat in sight. The ground wasn't visible but it was covered in trash, not snow. And instead of an abyss of whiteness, all I saw was green, purple, and gold. I was back in New Orleans, a city I lived in for two years, for Mardi Gras--my favorite holiday.

Since moving from New Orleans to Boston this past fall, I've become a self-proclaimed BU Girl, frequenting COM and Starbucks by day and braving the streets of Allston by night. Whenever I talk about my NOLA (New Orleans, LA!) days, there's one question I just can't avoid: What's Mardi Gras like? Usually, this question is followed up by jokes about beads and boobs. However, although you may see a bit too much indecent exposure if you walk down Bourbon Street, Mardi Gras is about so much more than just partying; it's actually a pretty family-oriented event! The whole city, including visitors from across the US and from abroad, celebrate with a series of different "Krewes," each with their own parade and southern style ball. The Krewes work all year, designing floats, coming up with parade themes, and buying different throws for carnival season. 

I love Mardi Gras because it reflects the unique culture of New Orleans that I've come to love. Strangers become friends and the whole city, including tourists are united under a common goal: to get beads and to have a good time.

Comments

About The Author

Rebecca Shinners is a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and Photo Intern/Freelancer at O, The Oprah Magazine. She graduated from Boston University in 2014 with a BS in Journalism and concentration in Photojournalism. She got her start in magazines writing for Her Campus and was previously an Editor for both Her Campus BU and Her Campus Tulane. Her work has also appeared in Seventeen Magazine, Teen Vogue, Bustle.com, Hamptons Magazine, and Newsday. When Rebecca isn't busy writing and taking pictures, she can be found shopping, petting puppies, wearing the color mint, and going to concerts.

More: http://rebeccashinners.weebly.com/