This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When I came to college, I was under the impression everyone went to class in sweatpants. It turns out that is not the case at a city school where you see normal people on the streets who aren’t college students. I wasn’t prepared to see people dressing up for the dining hall or wearing high heels to their 8 AMs.

When I skipped putting on makeup or wore a sweatshirt to class, I found people telling me I looked tired or stressed, which is something you never want to hear. I wanted to be able to wear a sweatshirt to class, but still look like I put in some effort. Here are some tips that will bring your look from lazy and disheveled to put-together and polished.

1. Get rid of deodorant marks.

Photo credit: instructables.com

People get deodorant marks on their shirts constantly, but you don’t want to go out in public with them. Luckily, you can get rid of them quickly by rubbing it with a pair of socks or a dryer sheet. Socks are the cheaper option, but dryer sheets will make you smell good, so it’s up to you.

2. Get rid of stains on the go.

Photo credit: tide.com

One of the best purchases I’ve ever made was a Tide To Go pen. It gets out every stain you can imagine from coffee to Sharpie stains. It’s easy to toss in your purse or backpack in case you have any spills you need to fix quickly.

3. Accessorize.

A simple necklace or ring or hair scrunchie can make your outfit look thought-out even when you just throw on a sweatshirt before class. It’ll only take a couple seconds to add a simple accessory, and it will take your look to the next level.

4. Match your jewelry.

Even when your jewelry isn’t the focus of your look, making sure it matches will make it look like you put in more effort. You can even have a few simple sets for your everyday jewelry so you can grab it and go.

5. Always smell good.

Photo credit: bathandbodyworks.com

On the days you don’t shower, put on a scented lotion, perfume, or body mist (and obviously always deodorant). Hygiene is a huge part of the impression you make on someone, and a subtle good smell will go a long way.

6. Keep your clothes wrinkle-free.

Photo credit: Free People

On days that you’re rushed, hang your wrinkled clothes in the bathroom while you shower. The steam from the shower will help get rid of some wrinkles, although it may not eliminate big creases. You can also use your hair straightener to quickly smooth out wrinkles.

7. Make sure your clothes look clean.

Photo Credit: Good Housekeeping

Use a lint brush. It’s so simple, and yet I always forget to do it. So many things get stuck to your clothes: your hair, pet hair, dust, lint, threads, etc. Every time I remember to use my lint brush, it makes a huge difference. It’s a simple step to add to your morning routine, and it’ll help you look way more polished.

8. Wear your hair up.

Photo Credit: Garage Clothing

Putting your hair into a quick ponytail is the easiest way to hide a bad hair day. If you need to shower or your hair is frizzy or you slept on it wet, just throw it in a quick ponytail. Plus, getting your hair off your face makes you look more awake.

We all know those days when we hit the snooze button until the absolute last minute. (Let’s be real, this may happen every morning.) Use these tips to help you look like you took your time getting ready and didn’t just roll out of bed.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emily is a communication student at Boston University. She discovered her go-to accessory, a camera, at age two. In her free time, she explores the city, binge-watches Netflix, searches for cute bookstores, and wanders through any parks and gardens she can find. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.