This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In 1998, Claudia Evart commemorated the 10th of April as Siblings Day to honor her siblings who died at an early age. Today, it is a celebrated holiday in 49 out of 50 states in the USA. Raksha Bandhan, or Rakhi, is a Hindu Festival meaning “bond of protection” and symbolizes the love between siblings.  

Having a sibling means having the best love-hate relationship with someone you know will always be there. Having lived in the USA and India, my brother has been lucky to have not one but two days when I appreciate his existence and show him some love.  

This Siblings Day is the first time I am away from home and away from my brother, which makes this day all the more special for me. This is a letter for everything you mean to me: 

Dear Big Brother, 

I know I don’t often say this, but I want to start by thanking you.  

Thank you for always protecting me.  

Thank you for always being straightforward in showing me the reality of life.  

Thank you for always listening to my endless stories. 

Thank you for teaching me the right from the wrong based on everything you have experienced. 

Thank you for always looking out for me.  

Thank you for always being a support system. 

Thank you for being that person who has literally been there for me my whole life.  

I know that we get on each other’s nerves and irritate each other, but being away from you has made me appreciate everything you have done for me even more.  

At a younger age, I took some things for granted and did not listen to you. I was still naive. I used to get angry at you when you corrected my pronunciations and over-analyzed my writing, but if you hadn’t taught me, then I would not be the better person I am today.  

Even though you are 3,000 miles away, I know that I will always have someone who will look out for me and want the best for me, no matter where I am.  

When I was little and my friends who don’t have siblings told me how lucky I am to have you, I would scoff and tell them that you were the most annoying person I knew.  

Now, I look up to you and respect you and I truly am lucky to have a best friend and brother like you.  

I love you, Big Brother!  

On this day, let your siblings know how much they mean to you! It is a rare occasion when siblings can freely express their love for each other. Make the most of Siblings Day!

Hey! My name is Riya Haria and I'm from India. I am currently a freshman studying Journalism at the College of Communication. My hobbies include photography, exploring and listening to music. I am thrilled to be a part of Her Campus and cannot wait to express my thoughts and opinions with all of you! x
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.