Leech Therapy: The Search for the Fountain of Youth Continues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The search for the miracle product that will help decrease physical signs of aging has been going on for many decades. Women, mainly, feel as though they need to look young forever and will go to great lengths to achieve that. Everyone knows about Botox and plastic surgery, but a treatment that has not gotten a lot of attention over the years is “leech therapy.” Women and men who want to prevent their skin from starting to sag or lose elasticity are seeking out treatment centers in which they put live leeches (yes, the slimy slugs that suck out blood from living organisms) on their bodies.

Historically, leeches were used to cure people of diseases and frequently used in the medical field. In the current medical world they are used to help attach smaller limbs, like fingers and toes, back to the body. In the world of cosmetology, they are being used to help prevent fine lines and wrinkles in the skin and make people look younger.

Leeches secrete almost 60 different types of protein in their saliva and many of these proteins are lipids (good fats). Lipids are found in a lot of skincare products and helps skin become softer. Some forms of the leech therapy call for the slimy slugs to be put directly on the body (not the face) in order to make the skin tight. The leeches cause the blood to rush to the surface, which helps rejuvenation and make the skin look healthier.

Despite its increasing popularity, leech therapy is controversial, even though actress Demi Moore admitted she undergoes the treatment. But Hey! Demi Moore looks AMAZING for her age. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.