John Krasinski Held A Public Talk In Boston Last Night…And It Was Awesome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The stage was set at the beautiful Seaport Green in Boston. Colorful lights hung above a crowd of hundreds of eager fans. Two padded chairs perched on the stage. The only thing missing was the people soon to be filling those chairs: the Krasinski brothers.

Paul Krasinski, John’s older brother, came out first. He introduce the new startup company that he recently founded, called Epicenter Experience. The company focuses on a platform of communication to connect various major brands in today’s collaborative economy. This is what sparked Paul’s idea to bring his brother John out for a “Sunday breakfast table talk” amongst brothers.

Then, it happened. John Krasinski came strolling out onto the platform, sporting a Red Sox baseball cap to show his strong Boston roots. Like a smiling ray of sunshine, he immediately won over the crowd. “I’m only here because Gronk was supposed to be here,” he joked. 

Paul started off the relaxed questionnaire by asking John why he wanted to become an actor. “You have to be in love with something…I was in love with acting,” John enthusiastically replied. 

Of course, having a dream doesn’t automatically mean it will come true, and John did not get to where he is today without his fair share of hardship. John commented that, “the one thing you don’t get to do as an actor in New York is act.” He revealed he used to “clean yoga studios so [he] could take free yoga classes.”

John then delved into his role as Jim Halpert on the hit TV series, The Office. He likened working on the set of The Office to “summer camp.” He said, “We were all there because we loved it, and I felt the entire time like I was back in college. I felt like we were just doing a play every week. Turned out we weren’t, turned out there were cameras there.”

“To be labeled Jim, it will always be one of the biggest honors I have.” Krasinski added, “It’s the greatest experience I will ever have in my career. There’s nothing like that family I had on that show.”

The next question directed at John regarded his new movie 13 Hours, and his role portraying an ex-Navy Seal during the Benghazi attacks. When asked how he got so in shape for the role, John replied, “This was just burritos and Dunkin Donuts.”

He then continued to joke, “I just stared at myself in the mirror all the time. I was like, do I look exactly like Ryan Reynolds? Or almost like Ryan Reynolds? And then I saw Deadpool and I was like…not like Ryan Reynolds. He’s still got it.”

Paul Krasinski then opened the talk up for some audience questions. One student  from Boston University asked John if he had advice for college students who wanted to pursue acting. Krasinski replied, “The going will get tough, but realize that what you’re doing with these people [fellow BU students]…that’s the reason you’re going to be great when your time comes. It’s because you love it and you love being with these people.”

Krasinski closed off the session with some kind words about the city that raised him, saying, “There’s a lot of respect and love for Boston. I truly don’t know that I’ve met stronger people, or more proud people. The history here, it’s all in the air. I feel like coming back is so important to me, and so I love coming back.”

We love having you back, John.

Julia Novello is a Film and Television major at Boston University, with a minor in Political Science. Her interests include writing, pop culture, binge watching Friends, politics, travelling, and everything to do with Tom Brady. She is a native of Boston, MA.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.