‘Je Suis Charlie’ Hits The Wardrobes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Just hours after the January 7th Al-Qaeda attack on the French satirical and controversial newspaper Charlie Hebdo in Paris, the slogan ‘Je Suis Charlie’ (‘I am Charlie’) spread like wildfire through the Internet. The saying has not only become a symbol for the massacre but a cry for freedom of speech, freedom of press and freedom of self-expression.

Just days after the attacks, the infamous slogan had made its way into the closets of A-list celebrities, socialites, advocates and everyday people. When Amal Clooney bejeweled her white satin Christian Dior handbag with a ‘Je Suis Charlie’ button at the Golden Globes a few weeks ago, fans, designers, and online retail websites went crazy.

The slogan spread onto products such as buttons, bumper stickers, bracelets, phone cases, mugs, decals and aprons on sites such as eBay and Amazon to Zazzle and Etsy as sales skyrocketed. ‘Je Suis Charlie’ had become a sort of fashion statement.

Looking back at the Boston Marathon Bombing of 2013, fashion has become a popular way to actively convey a social or political message. ‘Boston Strong’ t-shirts can still be seen everywhere on the streets of Boston and around the world.

Actress Kathy Bates with a ‘Je Suis Charlie’ phone case at the Golden Globes this January.

Actress Melanie Griffiths wearing a ‘Je Suis Charlie’ shirt for a workout session.

Washington Wizards forward Kevin Seraphin wearing a ‘Je Suis Charlie’ shirt during warmups.

Of course ‘Je Suis Charlie’ merchandise received a lot of backlash from critics who took to Twitter and Facebook to express their anger towards the idea that retailers were taking advantage of such tragedy for profits.

Tweets such as “I read about the ‘Je Suis Charlie’ products available for sale. The human greed is infinite” or “Disappointed that people have launched #jesuischarlie products. It’s not a bloody market” currently dominate the Internet. Back in 2013 eBay and Amazon took down products that were being sold connected to the Boston Marathon bombing out of respect towards the sensitivity of the topic. The same is currently happening with ‘Je Suis Charlie’ products.

According to a blog, the online site Spreadshirt wrote that “none of the ‘I am Charlie-related’ designs or products in our Partner shops, Marketplace or external marketplaces carries any commission that would in any way turn a profit from this tragedy. Furthermore, Spreadshirt will accept no commission on the sale of any ‘I am Charlie’ products” and stated they were donating all profits of the “jesuischarlie” or “charliehebdo” products to the official “Support Charlie Hebdo and the families of victims of the attack” foundation.

The question is, to what extent is it acceptable to create, sell or even wear clothing or accessories as a political or social statement, especially those that are tied to such a sensitive topic as terrorism and terrorist attacks? Is it more adequate to show your support with a plain piece of paper instead of a new wardrobe?

The attacks should not be glamorized in any way through fashion, art or any other market. It is controversial however, if clothing lines are doing so. One thing is clear; ‘Je Suis Charlie’ items should only be worn by strong activists who are passionate about the political or social issue at hand instead of trend followers who buy the shirts because they have a French logo. ‘Je Suis Charlie’ clothing and merchandise should be taken seriously, just like the massacre and twelve lost lives that the slogan stands for. ‘Je Suis Charlie’- whether printed on an Oscar de la Renta gown or a piece of cardboard- is not a fashion statement. It is a social statement and should be treated that way as well.

Roxanne is a 21-year old Boston University student from Düsseldorf, Germany, who is majoring in Film & TV and is currently completing a semester in Los Angeles, California.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis