How To Travel Abroad on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Maybe you grew up staying at five-star hotels or maybe you’ve never left the country, but either way, college is the perfect time to travel with your friends. Trust me, you will never have this much free time again. This summer, my best friend and I spent a week in Berlin (my first sans parent, budgeted trip to Europe) and I’m currently planning a spring break trip to London. I’m by no means an expert, but here are a few nuggets of budgeting wisdom for when you plan your next trip!

First off, plan early! If you book your flight a few months in advance, you are likely to find a cheaper flight. If possible, choose flexible dates when looking at flights. If you can alter your trip by a day or two, you can end up saving a lot of money. Don’t forget to price check multiple airlines!

Next, pick your splurge. I knew I wanted something special to remember my Germany trip by, so I saved with that goal in mind in the months prior to our trip. If you plan ahead and save, you won’t feel guilty about treating yourself on your trip. I decided to splurge on shopping, but this could be a fancy meal or a unique experience depending on what makes you happy! I will definitely be doing the same with my London trip, though I haven’t decided what my “splurge” will be.

Don’t forget your Student I.D. Lots of museums in Europe offer student discounts, but require valid proof of I.D. This is a great way to save money (usually around 5 dollars or so per museum) and some places might have bonuses like a free audio guide for students (#perks).

Be sure to save on food. In Germany, we tried to spend less than 10 euros a day on breakfast and lunch. That way we felt less guilty splurging on drinks and a nicer dinner. By the way, this is totally possible and you can find good, cheap food! Pro-tip: Don’t eat in touristy areas — they will always be overpriced. Don’t deprive yourself of trying new foods though (even if they are a little more money). It’s an integral part of the travel experience!

Make Airbnb your new BFF. Hotels are expensive — there’s no getting around it. I’m not quite ready to embrace the hostel life yet, so I find Airbnb a good in-between. Important things to remember when booking an Airbnb: check the location, ask about the check-in time, and read the reviews.  

Always try to master public transportation. Taxis & Ubers are expensive and can be more difficult to get in Europe than in the United States. Luckily, most large European cities have public transportation. Not only will you save money, but it’s also empowering to master a public transportation system in a language you don’t understand! 

The way you pack can make or break your travel day, so be sure to pack lightly. I love clothes and usually way over-pack for vacations. My friend convinced me to pack a small carry-on for our trip to Germany and I was so glad I did. You will save money on baggage fees. If you are staying in an Airbnb without an elevator or are traveling from destination to destination, having a small bag will make your life way easier. Though I’ll have to pack winter clothes for London (which take up way more room), I’m still planning on bringing just a carry-on.

Everyone should visit places like Paris, London, and Rome in their life, but the caveat of traveling to such well-known destinations is they are always more expensive. The prices of hotels in London vs. Berlin is astounding. If you are trying to adhere to a strict budget, try picking a smaller city like Lisbon or Budapest, where prices are likely to be more reasonable. You won’t regret traveling to these beautiful albeit smaller cities and you will save a little! I’m going to London with a friend who has never been, but otherwise I would definitely be headed to a less well-known (and cheaper!) locale.

Don’t let a small budget keep you from traveling, it is definitely possible.

Lucy is a junior studying political science at Boston University. She loves traveling, brunch, and her dog. She can usually be found at Tatte with a chocolate croissant.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.