How to Survive a Vegetarian Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The pumpkin spice lattes are brewing, the wine is mulling, the apples are being picked, and the plaid is being worn, perhaps a bit too often. Fall is in the air and on the ground in the form of the crunch you hear from underneath your chestnut colored riding boots. As soon as midterms are over, Halloweekend inevitably passes in a single intoxicated blur, and we find ourselves on air planes, buses, and long car rides to the place we have not been since shorts were still an essential in our wardrobe: home.

For most students, Thanksgiving is a great excuse to bond with your cousins that you see once a year, show your grandparents as much love as possible, play with the cutest babies in the family, and, of course, eat to the point you may need to unbutton your pants. For the vegetarians and vegans out there, you are no exception; you too can enjoy and indulge. Throw the idea of that rubbery “Tofurkey” out the window. Here are a couple of prime vegetarian meals that, if you encourage your mom, aunt, or grandma to try, it is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser, meat eater or not.  

1.     Butternut Squash Risotto

2. Sweet Potato Feta Tart

3. Quinoa Chickpea Salad

4. Mushroom Pot Pie

5. Black Bean Casserole

6. Pumpkin Soup

Shannon Stocks is a Junior at Boston University in the Sargent School for Health Sciences, majoring in Speech Language and Hearing Sciences. She has always loved to write and focuses this passion on her poetry. In her free time, you can find her at spin class on Newbury Street, working on a project in the community service center, or at the Hillel House. She loves being a part of the Her Campus Team!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.