This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

What’s a girly-girl to do when plaid becomes the must have print for the chilliest of days? Avoid it? Perhaps. I mean, who wants to look like a lumberjack anyway right? Wrong! It’s time to embrace plaid–even the toughest of flannels can be made girlier!

1. Just add lace

Flannel Shirt: Forever 21 | Lace Shift Dress: Topshop | Combat Boots: Steve Madden | Bracelet & Necklace: Jeweliq

Still think plaid is too tough looking? Add a girly flair by pairing a flannel shirt with the sweetest of lace dresses. Add tights, booties, and jewelry to complete your look. Leave your flannel unbuttoned–this will have the added benefit of dressing your party dress down for class. If you’re looking for an cozy, oversized look, opt for a men’s flannel. 

2. Layer a sweater over your flannel

Plaid Shirt: Forever 21 | Sweater: Topshop Jeans: Topshop | Riding Boots: JustFab | Classic Links Necklace: Jeweliq

Not ready to show off your plaid quite yet? Hide it! Well, not completely. Choose a collared shirt with a sweater layered over it. Only your collar will show, making plaid a cute detail to the rest of your outfit. Feeling daring? Pull your sleeves and the bottom of your plaid shirt down so they peak out of the sweater. Complete the look with riding boots and chunky jewelry. Choose a shirt in a thinner fabric, as shown here, for fall or a flannel for winter.  This look is perfect for the career-driven fashionista; wear it to your internship!

3. Accessorize! 

Knit Sweater: H&M | Skirt: H&M | Booties: Boohoo | Spiked Plaid Bow Clips: Forever 21 | Cross Body Bag: Marc by Marc Jacobs | Plaid Chain Necklace: Forever 21 | Plaid Chain Bracelet: Forever 21 | Patterned Tights: Forever 21

If you’re still all about your solid colored sweaters, add some plaid to your look by accessorizing! Plaid bracelets, plaid necklaces, plaid purses, plaid bows, you can find this print anywhere! When the days get colder, and your outfits get darker, you’ll be begging for a bright colored plaid accessory to brighten up your whole outfit. The best part about accessories is that you don’t have to change how you ordinarily dress: put on your everyday jeans or skirt outfit, then grab your plaid bag and you’re good to go.

4. Try a plaid skirt or dress

Plaid Shift Dress: Forever 21 | Knitted Cardigan: Topshop | Gold Flats: Sam Edelman | Love Bracelet: Jeweliq | Statement Necklace: Jeweliq

This look is all about channeling anything but your inner school girl. Plaid isn’t just for uniforms! It’s definitely possible to look sweet and feminine in a plaid skirt or dress. Pair your plaid with a light colored sweater, tights, ballet flats, and pretty jewelry. You’ll be leaving the schoolgirl stereotype behind in no time! 

5. Save it for your shoes

Plaid Flats: Forever 21Sweater: TopshopDark Denim: American EagleStatement Necklace: JeweliqSpiked Bracelet: BaubleBar

Remember back when leopard print first became popular? Leopard shoes were everywhere! There’s something about wearing a printed shoe that’s safe, but also completely fashionable. Pair plaid flats with your everyday neutral colored outfit. Or, try adding these shoes to an all black look to really make the print pop. No outfit is complete without a fabulous pair of shoes!

Ready to embrace plaid?! Tweet @HerCampusBU your favorite looks! 

Rebecca Shinners is a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and Photo Intern/Freelancer at O, The Oprah Magazine. She graduated from Boston University in 2014 with a BS in Journalism and concentration in Photojournalism. She got her start in magazines writing for Her Campus and was previously an Editor for both Her Campus BU and Her Campus Tulane. Her work has also appeared in Seventeen Magazine, Teen Vogue, Bustle.com, Hamptons Magazine, and Newsday. When Rebecca isn't busy writing and taking pictures, she can be found shopping, petting puppies, wearing the color mint, and going to concerts.More: http://rebeccashinners.weebly.com/
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.