jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Make Friends (and Keep Them) in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

When I started college last year, I was so nervous about making new friends. I came from a small private school that I had attended since kindergarten. There were fifty-seven kids in my graduating class, twenty-three of which I had known since my first day of kindergarten. I hadn’t had to make a new group of friends in years, and I was starting over at a huge university. Surprisingly, it wasn’t that hard. I’ve compiled my best tips for making friends in college so you can make the most out of your college experience!

1. Have confidence

Confidence is imperative to making friends. Everybody wants to be friends with someone who looks like they have it all figured out. Now, I’ll let you in on a little secret: nobody knows what they’re doing. So, if you approach situations with confidence, people will be drawn to you.

2. Say hi to everyone you recognize – even outside of class

This helped me a lot last year, and I continue to do it this year. If you see people in the dining hall, library, or just on the street, flash a smile, wave, or even say hi. You say hi to them once, you’re acquaintances. You say hi to them twice, you’re friends!

3. Ask to borrow a pencil

I use this trick all the time. Before class starts, lean over to someone in your vicinity and ask if they have an extra pencil you can borrow. Usually, they’re super nice about it and delighted to have someone to chat with before class starts. Don’t forget to give the pencil back after class!

4. Be a good listener

Everybody loves a good listener. If you run out of conversation, ask them a question about themselves. Usually, this can reboot the conversation and get you back on track.

5. Join a club

Joining a club in college is the best thing I ever did for my social life. Through my sorority, I made so many new friends. There are so many events available to me, and I never have to spend a Friday night alone (if I don’t want to).

Most importantly, be the friend you would want to have. And remember, everybody is always looking for more friends.

Hometown: St. Paul, MN City Editor at the BU Buzz
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.