bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Incorporate the Mediterranean Lifestyle into Your College Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The Mediterranean diet consists of veggies, beans, nuts, and herbs. According to the Mayo Clinic, it is very good for your heart and preventing diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. A huge plus is that Mediterranean food is so yummy: feta, hummus, and pasta are so good! For tips on how to incorporate the Mediterranean lifestyle into your college life, read on!

1. Go to the salad bar and make it fun.

At the dining hall, there are so many options. Sometimes it can be hard to decide which route to take; however, the salad bar offers many plant-based options that follow the Mediterranean style of eating. For example, start with a spinach base, add carrots, garbanzo beans, broccoli, quinoa, and finish with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The beans add protein, broccoli is rich in calcium, and the quinoa will keep you feeling satisfied.

2. Carry good snacks around.

In college, it’s sometimes hard to fit in time to eat. Between classes, study sessions, and club meetings, it’s highly likely you’ll sometimes find yourself really hungry. The solution: carry a bag of nuts. Almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, pistachios, and walnuts are all great options. They’ll rejuvenate you and fill you up with lots of protein and good oils that will make your skin and hair vibrant and healthy.

3. Choose fish (wisely).

Fish is a big part of the Mediterranean lifestyle. However, fish is tricky–especially in dining halls. If it looks good and reputable, go for it. If not, chicken and vegetables and a nice whole grain like quinoa mixed with feta and herbs is super yummy.

4. Tweak your breakfast.

Alternating between Greek yogurt, eggs, and a whole grain like oatmeal is a nice combination if you’re trying to incorporate this Mediterranean lifestyle into your life. Top the Greek yogurt with granola and berries for a more filling and delicious meal. I like to eat vanilla Greek yogurt with honey and raspberries. For the eggs, cook them with olive oil and top with turmeric. Turmeric is a superpower spice that helps calm inflammation which is ideal for your skin.  For the oatmeal, combine with almond milk and top with crushed pistachios and cinnamon to make it exciting and filling.

5. Get active.

The Mediterranean way of eating is all about treating your body well and giving it the right nutrients, but it also emphasizes the importance of exercise to release tension and get those endorphins going! Good exercises include running, a brisk walk to and from class, yoga, barre, pilates, and swimming. Exercise can help you feel great and reduces anger and symptoms of depression.

So try out some Mediterranean food and let me know what you think in the comments!

All information for the article found here.

Hometown: St. Paul, MN City Editor at the BU Buzz
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.