How I Hacked Living in Towers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’ll admit it. I was pretty discouraged when I walked into my dorm room on my first day upon arriving to BU and saw the high lofted bed, the bright fluorescent lighting, and the large wooden armoire. I thought to myself, “there is NO way I can make this place cute.” I didn’t even know how to make my bed properly when it was 5 feet above the ground.

But with a few hours on Pinterest, a few ounces of determination, and a vision in mind, I somehow crafted my freshman dorm at 140 Bay State into my little happy sanctuary.

My favorite part of my room is my desk area. I knew I wanted to add a unique touch to make it feel a little less like a dorm desk, so I brought a roll of marble contact paper with me from home. I also removed the top shelf part, which opened up my desk space (I moved the shelf under my bed as a shoe rack).

For desk accessories, gold and rose gold helped add a luxe touch. The mini french press is actually an ornament from Starbucks that I fell in love with and absolutely NEEDED.

I made the vision board at a workshop offered through FY101 at Paper Source Brookline. I love how it ties my desk together and adds a splash of color. I always find myself saving little cards in the pockets and put up cute little notes on the corkboard.

A fun twist on traditional string lights are these globe lights. I like the warm glow they give to the room and they make your room feel a little less like a dorm.

A great way to switch up your decor seasonally is with interchangeable throw pillow covers! I got new covers for Christmas and they instantly add festivity to my room! You can find them on Amazon — just make sure that you get pillow covers that match the dimensions of your pillow inserts.

Lastly, a great organization tool is a bar cart! Mine was actually meant as bathroom storage. When I got it, it was 50% off at Bed Bath and Beyond, so it was literally $8. And now it’s even cheaper… on clearance for $4.50! You can get it here. I have it in gold and my friend Jacob got it in silver. It’s great to put your mugs or tea/coffee on, or even perfumes, makeup, etc. If you want a bigger one or one with more “walls,” check out this option. My friend who goes to a state university back home uses this one from Ikea and it is a popular Pinterest favorite.  

You don’t have to live in Stuvi 2 to make your dorm look and feel amazing! Get creative, look for some inspiration, and make your room a space with all the things you love!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Geneve is a sophomore studying public relations at Boston University with a minor in business. When she isn't writing, she enjoys exploring Boston and documenting good coffee shops on her @bean_happens account on Instagram.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.