danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Get a Job or Internship with Little to No Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Nowadays, getting a job or internship can feel like an impossible task, especially if you have no prior experience. It’s often hard to feel like you even stand a chance against other candidates with more workplace exposure than you. Thankfully, landing a job or internship without previous experience isn’t as difficult a task as one might think. HCBU is here with all the necessary tips you need to help you land an awesome job, even if you don’t have any experience.

1. Beef up your resume

Even if you’ve never had a job or internship before, the “experience” section of your resume doesn’t need to be empty. Volunteer work, club/organization/sorority membership, and even charity work can all be added to your resume. If you’re just starting college you can even include activities you were involved with in high school. “Special skills” are also something to keep in mind when building your resume. You can include any relevant workplace skills on your resume such as knowledge of social media, Microsoft office, spreadsheets, and powerpoint. While these options may not seem as impressive as a previous full-time job or internship, employers will still be more likely to call you in for an interview than if you hadn’t listed anything at all.

2. Perfect your cover letter  

The cover letter is essentially the college essay of your application. Just like with the CommonApp, a well-written cover letter can potentially make up for even the shortest resumes. The key to a perfect cover letter is to personalize it to each job you apply to. No two jobs you apply for should receive the same cover letter. Each job is looking for a specific type of candidate, so make sure to carefully read their requirements. While it may seem like a pain to write a new cover letter for every position, it’ll be worth it in the long run.

Tip: Cover letters can be tricky! Meet with your school’s career center for tips and tricks on how to write a great cover letter.

3. Get your name out there

Apply, apply, apply! You never know who might take a chance on you so apply to as many positions as possible. Even people who now have high-ranking positions in their respective fields have said that they applied to dozens of jobs before finally being hired, so don’t get discouraged if you don’t hear back from a company.

4. Rock the interview

Personality is everything. While you may not have the strongest resume, you can make up for any faults in your interview. Even if you’re nervous, try to appear confident and friendly. A solid handshake, warm smile, and eye contact can go a long way. Show the employer that you care about what they have to say. If you put effort into these skills, you might even be hired over someone with more experience than you.

5. Research the company

The importance of researching the company you’re applying to can’t be stressed enough. Many times, interviewers will ask you specific questions about their company (ex: Why do you want to work there in particular? What about the work they do excites you?) and you won’t have time to hesitate. The more specific you can get, the better! Landing a job is one of the hardest things to pull off for anyone. Even when you’re struggling, know that you’re not alone. Brush up on your skills and keep trying every day. It’ll be worth it when you finally land the job you’ve been hoping for!

Savanna Tavakoli is a 21-year-old journalism student at Boston University. Savanna plans to use journalism as a platform for educating the public about everything from current political issues to which celebrities just tied the knot. Her interests include pop culture, female empowerment, advocating for gender and sexual equality, red lipstick, m&m cookies, and binge-watching Netflix in her free time.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis