How to Deal with the Madness of Holiday Travel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Every time the holidays roll around, I get excited: excited to go home, excited to see my family and friends, excited to just recharge after the intensity of finals. However, there is always one obstacle standing in my way before I can reach that final goal of total holiday relaxation: Logan International Airport. Flying home is simultaneously the best and worst part of my winter break; it gets me where I want to go, but all the craziness of actually getting on the plane is the worst. There are always crazy long lines, way too intense businessmen, screaming babies, novice travelers holding up the security line, and more often than not, delays and gate changes. As someone who has dealt with the horrors of the airport for many years, I’ve compiled a list of ways to make your holiday travel plans a little less hectic!

1. When packing, roll your clothes, don’t fold them!

I’ve picked this trick up very recently, and as a notorious over-packer, it’s honestly a lifesaver. Rolling your clothes gently as opposed to folding and stacking them leaves more room and doesn’t give your suitcase that overstuffed, bulging look to it. That extra space allows you to pack that extra sweater you probably won’t wear or that pair of fancy heels that you won’t even end up unpacking!

2. Speaking of suitcases, stick to carry-on bags.

If you absolutely have to check a bag, obviously do what you need to do. But around the holidays, things get extra hectic at airports; bags are more likely to get lost or misplaced. Even if your bag does make it to the baggage claim, getting your checked bag once you lands often adds another hour to your travel time. I like to stick to carry-ons because that way I can always keep an eye on my belongings. Plus, it’s more efficient; since I always check in for my flight beforehand and have my boarding pass printed, I skip the long check-in lines and head straight to security to get a jump on those crazy wait times! Furthermore, after a long day of traveling, I don’t have to wait around for my bag; I can just head straight home!

3.This may seem like a no-brainer, but during the holidays, it is imperative that you get to the airport at least two hours before your flight.

I know it’s annoying to sit in an airport for hours on end, but it’s much better to get to the airport and be able to wait comfortably at the gate rather than panicking and rushing through security 15 minutes before take off. Make sure you factor in plenty of time for transportation and its delays; on super busy travel days it can take up to 15 minutes for an Uber or Lyft to reach you, and the upcharge is often crazy high! The train can be tricky too, as the T is notorious for breaking down. All I can say is, make sure you’re at your gate with plenty of time to spare.

4. Dress for the occasion.

Although no one likes to look sloppy in public, I’ve always believed that the airport is not the place for a haute couture fashion show. I dress comfortably and practically over fashionably when I’m traveling, and honestly, it makes a huge difference. I opt for my comfiest jeans, add a few layers on top (as it is either really hot or freakishly cold on planes, and no one wants to be stuck shivering or sweating for over two hours!) and always wear easily removable shoes. Don’t wear ones that require lots of zipping and lacing, as those will be your downfall when you have to take them off at security!

5. If you can, tone it down with the makeup and focus on skincare.

Obviously, if you are not comfortable showing off your beautiful bare face, that’s fine! I just find that, at the airport, I always end up rubbing my face out of frustration, and mascara and eyeliner definitely get in the way of that. Also, it may just be me, but there’s something about traveling that messes with my skin. I usually break out and get really dry after flying anywhere. So, I recommend skipping the foundation and carefully prepping your skin before the flight. I love a beat face as much as the next person, but for traveling, I find it easier to just give my skin a break and go barefaced.

6. Invest in hand sanitizer.

Airport and bus terminals are breeding grounds for germs and bacteria, so it’s always good to be as hygienic as possible while traveling. Bring wipes and hand sanitizer for regular reapplication, and make sure to wash your hands well when you go to the bathroom. It would be unfortunate to immediately get sick upon your arrival home for what you thought was going to be a restful, relaxing holiday, so make sure you’re extra careful about taking care of yourself!

7. Make sure you have some non-electronic entertainment to keep you occupied.

I love playing candy crush and perusing Instagram to pass the time, but in the airport, that mindless scrolling quickly eats up battery and uses up precious data. Definitely make sure you have some other fun things to do packed away in your carry-on; a nice paperback novel is always a good way to pass the time, but I also really enjoy sketching or coloring in a notebook. Coloring is a great stress reliever and a fun creative outlet. Either way, don’t rely on your phone, iPad, or laptop for entertainment the whole time you’re waiting at your gate, just in case you can’t find an outlet to plug into after you’ve been playing Animal Crossing for two hours and your battery’s dying!

Hope you enjoyed my tips and tricks for the most efficient traveling this holiday season!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.